cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Modeling a Flip Top Cap

WillyC
1-Newbie

Modeling a Flip Top Cap

Anyone have experience with the particular style of living hinge that's used on shampoo bottles and various condiments?

I think it's known as a Butterfly Hinge because the profile where the hinge meets the cap looks like a butterfly or bowtie.

Basically the cap has two positions (open and closed ... duh! ... LOL) that more or less lock in place.

Any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Willy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:WillyC)

I have messed around with idea of living hinge system on some plastic vacumed boxes i was designing but i droped that in favor of regular metal hindges.

As far as i could gather, the point is in making sure tension is moved from hindge line so it doesnt break after a while. My idea was to reinforce hindge center in a way that makes bending deformation spreads to one of the "wings".

Here is some info.

http://engr.bd.psu.edu/pkoch/plasticdesign/living_hinge.htm

Hi Willy,

No direct experience buy have been involved with a number of flexing plastic parts (the flexing was part of the function) and years ago in a true hinge but that was before this bottle top type was born.

If I was starting from scratch I would get and existing cap that you like or more than one and I would cross section them to look in detail at the profile and sizes involved as these are very important. If you were very keen you could use some sort of edge measure or CMM to pick up the geometry. Obviously there may be some designs covered by patent so you would have to check that aspect.

As far as I know this type closures are all moulded in Polypropylene which has a particular molecular structure that makes it great for spring and hing type applications BUT with the proviso that you need to ensure several things in the part.

• Material flow direction. Polypropylene has a spiral molecular structure and you can think of these as coil springs. If these coils lie alongside each other lengthwise then you can pretty much flex this as much as you want (we tested into the millions for one hinge) but if they lie across the flex/hinge direction then breakage is only a matter of time.
  • Plastic flow in the mold. You can end up with problems in the molding operation by getting weld lines or hesitation that greatly affect the operation of the flex/hinge. Means things like gating position and flow paths need to be well thought out. My first work on such a hinge involved shifting the gate position from where it was easiest for the tool to where it properly filled the tool (also went from a single to double gate. With no change to part geometry it went from failure to success Flow analysis such as Moldflow is a very good idea for this sort of design. Again if you look at your samples you will get an idea of this flow.
  • Some hinges use a post molding stamping operation at the local hinge point as this forces the molecules to lie normal to the hinge area and it allows a thicker flow path. Used to be very common but used far less now as better understanding of plastic flow and the availability of flow analysis tools is more widespread.

There are other materials such as Nylon sometimes used for a single hinge closures but despite its strength the much shorter molecular chains and hydroscopic tendency make it less suitable in my mind.

Not sure if this helps but I hope so.

Regards,

Brent Drysdale

WillyC
1-Newbie
(To:WillyC)

Thanks for the info guys. Every little bit helps.

Turns out our customer, who molds megazillions of caps & closures, bottles and widgets, was not all that enamored

of the elusive Butterfly Hinge due to the shape of this particular cap. It turns out, also, that they can provide some piece

part "go-bys" and old-school tool designs of various styles of hinge that they are still fond of.

It's starting to look like all I'm gonna have to do is wade through a labyrinth of fuzzy paper scans, stand on my head,

and work while looking in a mirror. Can't wait to get started. LOL.

Actually, I'm almost finished with round one. Review this afternoon.

Thanks again, guys.

Top Tags