cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Modified object cannot be updated

wbottis
12-Amethyst

Modified object cannot be updated

Hello,

In Creo 5, there is a part that has been modified in my workspace that I did not modify.  I have attempted to update this object to override this modification with the latest version in PDM and Creo is preventing me from doing this.  What am I doing wrong here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7
wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:wbottis)

P.S. the error I am getting when attempting to remove the object from my workspace is, "cannot update up-to-date object".  Well, if the object was "up-to-date" then it wouldn't be showing as modified, right?  So, this statement is False then and I suspect the software writers need to be alerted on this to remedy the issue?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Up-to-date is different than modified.

You need to "Add to workspace" again.

If it's out of date, that means someone else has checked in a new version and the one you have in your workspace is the previous version.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Bingo, TomU, Thank you!  I needed that.

Hi, 

It might be worth looking into these settings. They can assist with unintentional modifications in the workspace and make it easier to recover. Setting>Preferences>Workgroup Manager Client

Tdaugherty_0-1595596888747.png

Undo Checkout Overwrite Local Content

Setting Undo Checkout Overwrite Local Content to Yes will make "Download" the default behavior when using Undo Checkout. This is helpful because you can check out an accidentally modified object and then undo the checkout to download the server version of the object. I find that this is faster than adding the file to the workspace again to overwrite the local copy.

Update Overwrite Local Content

Setting Update Overwrite Local Content to Yes will ensure that locally modified files are replaced with an updated copy of the file from the server. If set to No, the CAD/Dynamic Document version in the workspace will be updated; but the locally modified contents will not be over-written.

Here's a situation that prompted us to set this to yes.

User can have version A.1 of an object in the workspace, open and make changes via the Continue option, then save without checking out.  This data cannot be checked in yet.  Another user checks in a newer file and creates A.2 in Windchill.  The workspace now shows it as modified AND out of date.

1. The Windchill default behavior is to give the user the metadata for A.2 and keep the changes made to A.1 when the user Updates in this situation.  This situation leads to this user being able to now checkout A.2 and therefore check in changes made to A.1 as A.3.
  2. Proposed change would change Windchill default behavior to download the A.2 file and metadata over the changed A.1.  This would eliminate the changes originally made to A.1 and require the user to properly change A.2 instead.  Note: The user could actually go ahead and manually override the default behavior of the Update process and choose the “Reuse” setting for the file, but it would not be that way by default.

Note: With the setting set to yes and the user has made changes to a file and it is NOT out of date, then preforms an Update on the file, those changes will not be overwritten, Update will state that the file is the current version. 

Finally, I definitely recommend reading about what the Continue command does in Windchill. This has been a stumbling point for a lot of our users. I find that this command leads to a good majority of our accidental modifications.

Ty

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Assuming you are using WindChill, in the workspace, select the View Information icon.  Select the Actions menu and select Add to Workspace.  In the Add to Workspace window, ensure Reuse modified workspace content is unchecked and select OK.  If this is an assembly, you may want to change Dependents to None to prevent overwrite of children that you have purposely changed.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
kdirth
20-Turquoise

You wrote "there is a part that has been modified in my workspace that I did not modify."

I believe you did not intentionally modify the part.  The part may have changed slightly during a regeneration of your assembly model and was then saved with that assembly model.  The part may not have been regenerated before check in by the last person to change it.  It will modify again in your workspace.  The only way to stop it is to lock the file in your workspace.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags