cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Moment of Inertia Along Length of Part

elangdale
1-Newbie

Moment of Inertia Along Length of Part

I understand well how to find the moment of inertia at a plane through my part, however, I would like to know if it is possible to find the moment of inertia (in one given direction) as a function of the distance along the part.  My main purpose for doing this is to find the location and value of the minimum moment of inertia.  It is a complex part so this cannot be done easily just by inspection.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rcook
6-Contributor
(To:elangdale)

You can do this pretty easy with a user-defined analysis (UDA).

1. Create a curve along the geometry in the direction that you want to measure (sketch or copied composite curve) along the surface or centerline.

2. Put a field point on the curve.

3. Create a plane on the field point and normal to the curve.

4. Create a X-Section Mass Properties analysis based on the plane, save as a feature (make sure to select the parameter(s) you want to graph from the Feature tab).

5. Group the field point, plane, and analysis.

6. Run a UDA, select the group that you just created (probably selected already) and the parameter that you want to graph. You can change settings, export to Excel, save the analysis for later, etc. all from the UDA.

Thanks,

Roger

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rcook
6-Contributor
(To:elangdale)

You can do this pretty easy with a user-defined analysis (UDA).

1. Create a curve along the geometry in the direction that you want to measure (sketch or copied composite curve) along the surface or centerline.

2. Put a field point on the curve.

3. Create a plane on the field point and normal to the curve.

4. Create a X-Section Mass Properties analysis based on the plane, save as a feature (make sure to select the parameter(s) you want to graph from the Feature tab).

5. Group the field point, plane, and analysis.

6. Run a UDA, select the group that you just created (probably selected already) and the parameter that you want to graph. You can change settings, export to Excel, save the analysis for later, etc. all from the UDA.

Thanks,

Roger

I was able to do all of this until I found that I needed the Behavioral Modeler.  I will work on that.  Thanks for the help so far!  This seems like the correct method.

Top Tags