cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Moving spin center location?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Moving spin center location?

I know this has to be possible. And help is no help.

I am importing a lot of parts and the spin center is out in the ozone.

How do I relocate the spin center without moving the part...

And will that work for the 3D Navigator (3D mouse).

On some occasions I can get it to spin on a feature when I use the right hand mouse. But for the most part, it just spins on the default 0,0,0.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You do not need to move the spin center location itself.

Simply turn off the spin center with the 6-14-2012 3-18-33 PM.jpgicon.

Then position your cursor in a location in the graphics window which you would like to act as the "spin center" and rotate holding down MMB

Now, if you absolutely want to move the spin center:

View - Orientation - Reorient - select preferences in the Orientation dialog box - select for example Point or Vertex as the spin center pos - select a vertex or point on the model - select OK

6-14-2012 3-23-08 PM.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hi,

try the following configs:

spin_center_display no

spin_rate_zoom_sensitive no

spin_with_orientation_center no

The last two will do what you need. The first one is just cosmetic. I also work with bunch of imported models that have their origins far in the space.

Thanks Jakub

I did try all 3 with some success.

If the spin center is displayed, it will always be the spin origin... from what I can tell.

If the spin center is not displayed, and you have a component or feature highlighted, this becomes the approximate spin center with the mouse/middle button.

Once a new spin-center feature is selected and release, and the spin center is not displayed, the 3D mouse will use the last selected spin center.

The spin rate zoom sensitivity is annoying...

The spin with orientation center is good tip. The highlight graphics is just annoying too.

So there is not a specific "move spin center" command? I see the need for an enhancement

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

You do not need to move the spin center location itself.

Simply turn off the spin center with the 6-14-2012 3-18-33 PM.jpgicon.

Then position your cursor in a location in the graphics window which you would like to act as the "spin center" and rotate holding down MMB

Now, if you absolutely want to move the spin center:

View - Orientation - Reorient - select preferences in the Orientation dialog box - select for example Point or Vertex as the spin center pos - select a vertex or point on the model - select OK

6-14-2012 3-23-08 PM.jpg

Perfect! I thought this capability was already there. Just never thought to look there

...and Oh Yessssssss... I definitely want to move that center for most of these files.

Top Tags