cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi body part modelling-Transitioning fron SolidWorks to Creo

KQD
Garnet

Multi body part modelling-Transitioning fron SolidWorks to Creo

I run a small product design business, focussing on many different sectors. We have a couple of licences of SolidWorks and Rhino, with various add ons. I subscribed to Creo in the spring this year, with ISDX, as we needed a more robust approach to certain modelling tasks that required using sub d type modelling (Freestyle in Creo, Power Surfacing in SolidWorks and TSplines in Rhino). Due to workload we have really on started to get into using Creo and already come up with what I consider to be a serious workflow killer.

it appears that Creo does not support multi body part modelling is a part environment? 

I've read other forum posts on this but I don't think many actually understand the true implications of this. From our perspective, modelling in SolidWorks, Rhino, Fusion360 etc, multi body part modelling is a core workflow. From creating master models to working with complex patterns or even simple modelling procedures. Fact is, we cannot, efficiently, model some parts without utilising multi body modelling techniques. 

Is there a timeframe to introduce Multi body part modelling into Creo? 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Multi body part modelling-Transitioning fron SolidWorks to Creo

As a follow up to this, and reading further posts on this matter, it appears many Creo users have issues with this as they fear it might affect how Creo handles bodies in Windchill. Can I suggest, that from a part modelling perspective, this is an irrelevance. I cannot emphasise how critical this is to our (and others like us) workflows. I can think of many modelling tasks that are simple in SolidWorks or Fusion, using multi bodies, that would require ridiculous workarounds to achieve using feature only modelling.

If PTC is hoping to persuade others like myself to switch from SolidWorks and the like, this has to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

There is a product enhancement idea with respect to multi-body parts.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Add-functionality-Multi-Body-part/idi-p/459141

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)

I added a comment to that one Stephen. Discussing with my designers this morning we see this as a critical issue for long term Creo use. More than happy for PTC to visit us to see how we do things so they really understand why it is such a big issue.

Make sure you "kudo" that idea. That's how you vote for the idea. 

In general, PTC doesn't publicize the direction it is taking it's software (does your company tell their competitors what they are going in a year or 5 years?). Occasionally, such as on the linked idea, you will get a clue as to what they are researching. I wouldn't hold my breath for any future enhancement to happen.

Have any of your Solidworks users or you used Creo before? The transition from Solidworks to Creo is usually infinitely maddening for Solidworks users.

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)

As I said in the other post, don't hold your breath that PTC will change their core design philosophy after 20+ years and allow multi-body part files.

Did you research NX as a comparison to Creo? NX has easier to use surface modeling tools and allows multi-body parts.

Thanks Stephen. I have plenty of experience with the whims of CAD vendors or all sizes over the last 25 years or so, and my company has invested in plenty of systems over the years, used them for some time then moved onto systems that work better for us. We don't just use one platform - that is a recipe for stagnation and inefficiency for what we do. Honestly, I'm ambivalent about Creo. The only reason we even contemplated it was the fact that we could subscribe and that Freestyle was a core , so we will treat this year as a test and if after 10 months we find it is not doing what we had hoped it would we will just drop it. lessons learned.

In the meantime though, we will test it thoroughly on real projects and feedback to PTC with any suggestions. In my experience of CAD vendors (ALL CAD vendors), it is the little guys who actually push the envelope on workflow and geometry. The big companies tend to focus on file management issues and to them it really doesn't matter if an engineer takes all day to model a part. For us, the reverse is true. We design as we use the system. File management is simple as every project is different. But if we cannot model something efficiently then that platform will get dropped like a brick.

Sorry meant add - NX is a non starter for a company our size. We would be looking at £12-14k a license for the functionality we need.

NX is also available as a subscription now, so you could at least try it for a year like you are doing with Creo.

Have you investigated the top down design tools available in Creo? They probably support a workflow that could work for you resolving this issue. Not knowing details of your issues, I can't address it directly.

I use ISDX/surfacing to create complex surface geometry that is propagated to multiple dependent parts routinely. It is possible to have a single master model in Creo control derivative parts using the Top Down functionality such as merge, copy geometry, inheritance, Pro/Notebook etc.

If you have a license that does not include access to the top down functionality it of course makes solving this problem much more tedious.

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!