Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N-sided surfaces

Re: N-sided surfaces

There is a similar feature withing Creo Style or ISDX.  I often share that functionality while teaching Style or for that mater even Creo Surfacing in my classes however It is far better to complete your geometry with four part boundaries and that N-Agon type tools completes your four part boundary for you.  I suggest being more specific and dedicate preciously how you break the boundaries up.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Hey John.  I have known about the N-sided mesh since, what, v15?  But I made my first one maybe 2 years ago using creo elements/Pro 5.0 (I think it was), THE worst version of Pro/E, EVAR.  But, thought the menu is clunky, and it's non-intuitive and pretty difficult to set the boundary conditions (doesn't highlight them for cr@p, one you do it, it works wonders.  I've actually been playing with it a lot lately.  It does things boundary blends simply cannot do, and it does them in one shot with the best overall surface possible.  If you tried doing it with B/B's, you'd have to try and do one surface, then trim that one, make another one, etc.  AND, worse, the first surface determines how the entire patch comes out, which isn't anywhere as smooooth as a single patch taking ALL the edges and boundary conditions into consideration at once.  I've given up on B/B's for anything like this.  Besides the clunky menus AND the fact that PTC now does it's best to hide one of their most amazing features, the only minor downside is you can assign tangent boundary conditions, but not curvature continuous.  Although, the tangent works well enough not to really matter.  For those that insist on C2 that don't actually matter in the real world in 99% of cases, well, either use a different freeform modeler, or simply tell the toolmaker for your IM parts to polish the molds to C2....which if you'e dilligent about your actual real world parts, you would do anyways.  For the model, all you have to do is get close, and the final product is determined by the tool, not your "perfect" CAD model anyway.  In short, the N-Sided mesh is more than good enough for me.  Why oh why, PTC, did you do your best to hide, instead of enhance, one of your absolute BEST features?  WTH?????

My sentiments exactly.

Best regards

John

enable_obsoleted_features

beat you to it on page 2.  😉

Hi, Bart Brejcha.

I only realized style surface has this capability very recently. I would like to learn more but i failed to find any documentation on this. Could you please help me out? Many thanks in advance

Highlighted

send me your model bart@designengine.com

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am actually looking for the documentation of style surface built with > 4 edges. I don't see any explanation on this on the user guide. 

I fount this in help, but never mention about > 4 edges.

style_sur.jpg

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!