cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Non-cloneable Parameters

cwenner
1-Newbie

Non-cloneable Parameters

Having wrong/unreliable parameter values is worse than having empty parameters right? Yet every time we duplicate and object (or rename in PDMLink), ALL parameters retain their values even if they will no longer be correct for the new object! In the frenzy of producing new model GEOMETRY (always the first priority), we often duplicate entire assemblies and many parts under them. No one has time (at that point) to even think about whether the parameter values are correct. Hence, all the way until objects are checked and released nobody can have any confidence that values are correct.

The simplest (least desirable way) to implement this new feature would be to build-in to "save as" and "PDMLink Rename" a feature that clears all parameter values automatically. That is, after all, the safest way to not create invalid data.

Next best, would be to, upon parameter creation, ask the user whether that particular parameter should get cleared when the model is cloned. Not sure there is a practical way to roll this into existing models. Generally, models already released can not be altered... yet they will continue to be used over and over for new models.

Best solution (perhaps?), would be to address the issue at the time of cloning. However, whatever process is implemented cannot unduly weight down the already complex process of cloning assemblies with multiple levels. One technique that may work, is to simply add some flag to newly cloned objects. Then, when they are NEXT received, present the user with a very carefully worded dialog box. Something like:

The model you have just activated, is a newly cloned object THAT HAS INHERITED ALL PARAMETER VALUES from it's predecessor. If you would like to automatically clear all of those values, check this box (show a check box). Otherwise, to produce the integrity of information contained in this model, we recommend you take a moment to quickly review values and clear the ones that are likely to need changing in this new model.

If you'd like to do that now, check this box and we will take you to the parameters. (show check box).

Final thing that should be in this enhancement. Carry a new column in your parameters list called "clear value Y/N?" that is defaulted to N. This would allow people to quickly type YYYYY in all appropriate parameters to clear them... which should then switch the default back to N.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:cwenner)

Chauncey,

Have you thought of setting up a modelcheck config to simply set the model parameters to their default (start template) settings?  The users could select the "reset parameters" modelcheck setting from the modelcheck Load Config dropdown, and then just run modelcheck on the object to reset all the user parameters to your company defaults.

Granted, the user still needs to remember to do this to all the objects they've cloned, but it may be a work around for now.

I created some mapkeys, scripts, and modelcheck configurations that copy all user parameters from one model to another using a Copy/Paste type action.  I can "reset" my parameters on cloned models by copying the parameters from the start templates, and pasting into the target models.

As a reminder, you should vote on your own idea.

Regards,

Dan N.

I'm honestly not familiar with ModelCheck (though I know what it is). One too many tools to learn.

As I am envisioning your work around, it may be practical for a few models (IF PEOPLE REMEMBER and aren't in "too big a hurry")... but I don't think it's at all practical when I have dozens of parts (whose names I absolutely will not recognize in my workspace) at 3 and more indentures of model tree that are all being cloned together to maintain complex connectivity.

Top Tags