cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Nonlinear functionality in Creo 2

MatsLindqvist
1-Newbie

Nonlinear functionality in Creo 2

In Creo 1, PTC implemented important improvements of the nonlinear functionality. The most important of these improvments, is the ability to combine several nonlinear phenomenae in the analysis. In this case I have analyzed post-critical behaviour of an axially loaded column. The analysis includes the effect of large deformations, plastic yield in the steel, and nonlinear collapse of the structure. Since the load can't be increased beyond the critical level, the displacement was prescribed, and the reaction force was measured. The reaction force increases up to the critical level, and then declines, as expected. The nonlinear solver benefits from the new ability to create prismatic elements, such as brick and wedge elements. 

/Mats Lindqvist/Econocap AB/

buckling_case.jpgbuckling_force.jpg

Video Link : 3071

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Mats,

How did you promote the lateral movement so that it doesn't just crush?

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

The vertical prescribed displacement is applied to one edge of the L-profile, i.e. the force is not aligned with the centre of gravity of the section. So there will be a small bending moment  along the beam, sufficient to initiate the unstable behaviour. If the load (in the form of prescribed displacement) had been aligned with the centre of gravity of the section (neutral axis), then it would have been necessary to model some disturbing force, or geometric imperfection, to initiate the buckling. 

/Mats L

Did you use a elasto-plastic material?

Can you upload your work?

Thanks

Giulio,

Yes, I used elasto-plastic material.

I no longer have this model. I have a new job now, and I normally use the account "mats.lindqvist@avaloninnovation.com".

B.R. Mats Lindqvist

Top Tags