cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Number of instances in a FILL pattern

tcooper
1-Newbie

Number of instances in a FILL pattern

Any suggestions on finding the number of instances created in a fill pattern? It's odd shaped so not easily mathematically figured. I sure hope I don't have to touch each dot to count them!

Tim P. Cooper
Lead Designer
GE Oil & Gas
North American ATO

T +1 281 878 6168
M +1 281 796 9038
F +1 281 715 4116
-<">mailto:->
www.ge.com
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

From the model tree: RMB on the pattern, INFO, FEATURE

Then see the comment line:
[cid:image001.jpg@01CF912D.5D24EA90]
In this case, it's 396.

Regards,
James

Thanks Dan and James. Took 12 min to get an answer that PTC Tech support didn't know and has been on it for 2 hrs so far.

Tim P. Cooper
Lead Designer
GE Oil & Gas
North American ATO

T +1 281 878 6168
M +1 281 796 9038
F +1 281 715 4116
-<">mailto:->
www.ge.com

A final follow up on my request, here is PTC's response 2 WEEKS LATER! Oh and their response was it can't be done, where this exploder told me how to do it in less than 15 minutes. Too bad I did not post the question at the same time on the Planet PTC site, but up to this point I have had no need to explore the Planet PTC site as it was new and still developing when I first was asked to evaluate it, and have not needed it up to now.

Hi Tim,

"How to determine how many instances from the pattern"

I apologize for the late follow up. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine the exact number of instances/members from a pattern. There are some relevant information from the Help Center on "About Pattern Member Spacing Options" that may offer some clarifications on your question. See link.

www.ge.com

This is laughable - in a really sad way. Tell me again, why do we pay
maintenance?

Tim, does anyone know this at PTC? (other than the tech whom I assume you
told.) This needs to be run up the flag pole.

Anyone out there have a contact at PTC that might be interested in hearing
this?

Just had a scary thought...

what if PTC's future plans are that you can only access the PTC Community/PTC User exploder hybrid or whatever it is to become if you are on active maintenance?!?!

Regards,

Neal Hanratty
Engineering Systems and Standards Manager
Terex Materials Processing Group

T +44 (0)28 8241 8769
F +44 (0)28 8225 2740
M +44 (0)75 3495 2739
E neal.hanratty@terex.com<">mailto:neal.hanratty@terex.com>
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:tcooper)

What an awful thought!

That's exactly what's going to happen.

Note how the help files have been going from local downloaded .pdf files, to web-based .pdf and help files since about Pro-2001.

I think they are trying to create a 'community' similar to other Windows CAD/CAM/CAE apps (think Autodesk, Solidworks, ANSYS). As others have already said, these community sites are more difficult to search and follow threads, and are certainly not as easy to archive problem solutions as compared to the exploder.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317

We were off maintenance for a few months several years ago and I was surprised to see we still had access to the Knowledge Base and more on ptc.com.

There's been quite a bit of PTC bashing of late, and I totally understand where people are coming from - years of customer abuse by PTC will foster that environment. And from that perspective they get very little of my sympathy.

But I've had experience w/Solidworks recently and trust me - PTC is far superior when it comes to customer support, both with the quality of their website and level of expertise when trying to solve a problem. Yes, sometimes they're stumped and sometimes the user community will produce a faster solution. But it still beats the crap out of SWX "yeah, that's just the way it works - you can try this work-around" answers I've received.

And when we went off maintenance w/SWX we were literally cut off from their website - no Knowledge Base or anything.

Let's hope PTC's movement toward a more SWX type of product doesn't include lower quality customer support too.

-Ter

mlocascio
4-Participant

Terry,

I would hope that someday the maintenance (year-to-year) would be more
affordable for the single user. Also I would hope that they will get away
from having any American speak to someone who cannot speak American. When I
am spending $1000.00 or MORE for maintenance I should be able to speak to
someone that I can actually understand.

Michael P. Locascio

JimBarrettSmith
14-Alexandrite

Neal

I hope you have noticed that when you visit help.ptc.com you do not require a support agreement to view the Creo online help centers, and is in the opposite direction to your scary thought.

If you have access to the web then I encourage you to take the new help center for a spin and learn how PTC are using the best technology to provide end users with the information they need as quickly and easily as possible.

Below are some examples on how to search for content and narrow your results using standard google functions.

Visit help.ptc.com and select the Creo Parametric help center,

* In the Search bar, search for Family in all help centers

o [cid:image002.png@01CFA048.55CCFA60]

* Narrow your results by excluding a particular word for example Family -harness

o [cid:image003.png@01CFA048.55CCFA60]

* Narrow your results even further by searching for a particular title for example Family intitle:harness

o [cid:image004.png@01CFA048.55CCFA60]

* Or Narrow your results by searching for an explicit phrase for example Family "replacing a group"

o [cid:image005.png@01CFA048.55CCFA60]

* If you check on All sites then the help center will also search PTC Learning Exchange, PTC User Community and PTC YouTube. Searching for just family in all help modules and on all PTC sites then you will receive lots of helpful information from multiple sources. Of course too much information is not useful hence the filtering examples I provided above will help you narrow your results allowing you to find answers quicker.

o [cid:image008.png@01CFA049.86B57750]

* And when searching all sites you can also search for content posted within a specific date range for example family mar2014:apr2014

o [cid:image007.png@01CFA048.55CCFA60]

In summary I hope the help center will help you find your answer quicker and easier. And I hope all scary thoughts are now demolished

Cheers, Jim
Top Tags