cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Numerical method errors with Flatten Quilt?

cweigold
1-Newbie

Numerical method errors with Flatten Quilt?

Good afternoon all,

I've just started using the Flatten Quilt feature this week and I have noticed some interesting behavior.

If, before I flatten, I measure the length of a curved edge of a quilt along the curve (the one with PNT4 for example), I get some value. If I then flatten the quilt and measure the same edge length (not the distance point to point), the value is slightly different by a few hundredths of a millimeter. Is this due to computational errors while solving for the flattened quilt?

Secondly, let's say I have a quilt, but I want to trim off part of it and then flatten that trimmed part. The intersection curve in the attached image shows where the trim will be. I trim and flatten and all is well. I can measure the length of the curve with PNT4 and I get a value. But wait, if I use Bend Solid to put those intersection curves on my flattened quilt and then measure the length of the same curve, it is not the same length either in linear distance or by curve length. Shouldn't both of these methods give me the same result?

WF3
M140

Thanks,
-Chris

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

It gets even worse Chris, when you get into very small variance. If you
take a half sheet and flatten the quilt, the sheet is not symmetrical
about the center line and if you want to apply an extrusion in the very
corners of the sheet there is even more distortion. I think this is
caused by whatever computations ProE has to do to get this tool to work.
Rather than "Flatten" sheet, it ought to be "Crushed up and pulled
roughly flat" sheet.

BTW You'll notice also that ProE doesn't know whether to call flatten
sheet geometry, a "Solid Bend" or a "Bend Solid" in their Help
documentation.

Richard A. Black

Lead Engineer

Eaton Corporation

16900 Aberdeen Road

Laurinburg, NC. 28353
Top Tags