cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Only show top level coordinates

Mirui
6-Contributor

Only show top level coordinates

I have a assembly that has 500 parts. when i open the top level, and trun on "Csys display", it shows every other part's doordinates system and i cannot see my parts because the coordinates are all over the place.

Is there any way to only show top level assembly, not all sub-level?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Mirui)

Ben is correct, and I'll go further:  In ALL your models, the default condition should be all CS's, datum points, axiis, and planes, should be hidden, along with layout curves/geometry and that status should be saved.  This is best done in your start parts.  Then in your layer tree, you can selectively pick ONLY the models who's CS's you want to see.  Even better, be aware that for almost anything, even if the CS is hidden via it's layer, you can still pick it from the MODEL tree.  for instance, if you're inserting a part into an assembly, and want to constrain CS to CS, you can pick both CS's via the split model tree windows.  Oh, and if you only want individual model layers shown, make sure you have the option "No Submodel Layers" checked.  You must dig into the layer tree and show them by individual model because if you have "All Submodel Layers" checked, that's exactly what you get.

There are threads here about "rules-based" layers, find them and make your layers like that in your start parts.  A presentation .ppt file called "Take Time to Obey The Rules" is linked in several of the threads, and is an excellent source of information.  I used it to create my layer structure.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I think in the layers tab, you can select which file you want to see the csys of.

We always try to turn off all layers when we save the part for final filing.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Ben is correct, and I'll go further:  In ALL your models, the default condition should be all CS's, datum points, axiis, and planes, should be hidden, along with layout curves/geometry and that status should be saved.  This is best done in your start parts.  Then in your layer tree, you can selectively pick ONLY the models who's CS's you want to see.  Even better, be aware that for almost anything, even if the CS is hidden via it's layer, you can still pick it from the MODEL tree.  for instance, if you're inserting a part into an assembly, and want to constrain CS to CS, you can pick both CS's via the split model tree windows.  Oh, and if you only want individual model layers shown, make sure you have the option "No Submodel Layers" checked.  You must dig into the layer tree and show them by individual model because if you have "All Submodel Layers" checked, that's exactly what you get.

There are threads here about "rules-based" layers, find them and make your layers like that in your start parts.  A presentation .ppt file called "Take Time to Obey The Rules" is linked in several of the threads, and is an excellent source of information.  I used it to create my layer structure.

Mirui
6-Contributor
(To:Patriot_1776)

Thanks.

It is an imported STEP file, it doesn't have any coordinates and planes in it. the top level assembly take one part's coordinate as it's coordinates. 

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

That .ppt file I mentioned can help you fix that, here, I've attached it.  What you can do is delete all the layers from the STEP file.  Then create a temp assembly with the rules-based layers you want.  Insert the STEP assembly into this temp assembly, the select all the layers, and hit the "Extend Rules" command in the layer tree (under the leftmost icon), and it will automatically propagate the rules to ALL parts in the STEP assembly.  Then get out of the temp assemble, delete it, and save the STEP assembly.  But this ONLY works with rules-based layers, not the "default"-type layers.

Mirui
6-Contributor
(To:Patriot_1776)

Thank you for find it and share, i will give it a try.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Well, even though I was one of several who posted it here years ago, I always kept a copy so I'd have it handy, it's a great presentation and I've gotten a lot of use out of it over the years.

Hope it helps!

If it did, please mark the thread as "Solved".

Top Tags