cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Opening Creo Parametric 4.0 files in 3.0

shacvet
1-Newbie

Opening Creo Parametric 4.0 files in 3.0

Greeting, 

I am a Mechanical Engineering student in San Diego taking a course in Engineering Drawing. I have personally downloaded a student version of Creo 4.0 to complete my assignments for the class. My professor is using Creo 3.0 Education Edition and is unable to see any of my work that I have completed. 

Is there a way for him to just view my work, part and drawing files, in Creo 3.0? 

Thank you kindly,

J. Shawn Cvetezar

9 REPLIES 9
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:shacvet)

Very simple answer is NO.

Not sure if the educational version supports GCRI, but that is only for models, not drawings.

One of you needs to change to the version used by the other, and it should be the professor!

The professor may be teaching a Creo 3 course and may have to wait for the school to be authorized/licensed to move to Creo 4 under the PTC Academic program and to update any school computers.

It's pretty common for people to think that all programs work just like Microsoft Office and allow the ability to save in older formats**, because that's the office group they used before. It is a shock that this is rarely true and I don't know who should be one to carry that information. Microsoft is forced into this position as it would have trouble selling that all users have to upgrade simultaneously. I don't know the details of the Academic program, but I expect a student is only allowed the latest Academic version; even if not, they would not be prepared for the difference.

**Probably AutoCad can; same deal as Office - simple, non-interlinked files with little intelligence in the data, and a market that depends on lots of individual users at likely different versions. Forced upgrades are highly resisted.

Can convert / Save As creo file to .STEP ( stp ) format and import wherever needed.
(STEP file is a CAD file format, usually used to share 3D models between users with different CAD systems. “STEP”, stands for “Standard for the Exchange of Product model data”.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mohamed123)

STEP will not transfer the drawings, only the model.

IGES can do the drawing and model.

GCRI can do only the model.

DXF can be used for the drawing only.

Also there are quite a lot of differences between Creo 3.0 and 4.0 on the drawings side. The professor may be teaching in Creo 3.0 deliberately.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com

Hi,

probably the simpliest solution is to download Creo 3.0, install it and rework all models + drawing from scratch.

When installing Creo 3.0, you can reuse Creo 4.0 license file located in C:\ProgramData\PTC\Licensing directory. Simply put the full path to license file into Source field - OR- use Browse button during installation.

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

An old topic revisited, but you could save your drawings as PDF files and send those to the professor.

The professor could want the actual files as there is a stamp applied every time the file is saved which shows who last worked on the file, date and computer name.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

If it is on a laptop. Let him grade the homework while using your laptop.

Yves
6-Contributor

Stumbled over this.

just for viewing you cna use Creo View Express

https://www.ptc.com/en/products/plm/plm-products/creo-view/extension-express

Opening Creo 4.0 files in Creo 3.0 is not possible as far as i know.

Top Tags