cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Opening Pro/E files in other applications

ptc-2692975
1-Newbie

Opening Pro/E files in other applications

Hello, I have received a part file from a customer that wishes me to machine his part.Part was designed on Pro/E has fielname of Part.prt.181 Why is it that no matter how I try to view the part to machine it I cannot do it.(even free solidworks viewer won't open it) I even downloaded wild fire and its says file created with a commercial version and cannot be opened by the trial version. The customer had the drawing made in China and has stated that other shops have no problem opening their cad files so they aren't going to waste time to have it translated. So my question of the day is what's the advantage of Pro/E if its unable to be viewed by other programs? I can't justify buying a seat of Pro/E for this one job. Is there something out there that will read a Pro/E file and you can save it a solidworks, DXF or some other readable format?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

John, The downloaded version is probably a student version and you cannot open up Pro/E files in a student version or trial version if they were created in the full commercial version of Pro/E. Also, you need to find out what version of Pro/E that the file was created in. Wildfire 3.0 I believe will not open up a file created in Wildfire 4.0 but the newer version can open up an older version file. Steve

John, What steven said is correct, a student version cannot open a commercial part, the reason for this is because PTC is aware that many small vendors would purchase the student version instead of the commercial version to do exactly what you want, open 1 file and be done with it, however you do not want to purchase a seat of Proe, understandable, it is expensive. Maybe you could ask your customer to give you the part in a neutral CAD format, ie. preferrably STEP, therefore you could then translate and open it in any CAD software that you would like.

Just thought I'd point out that you could also download 'product view express' (free plugin for explorer) - it will allow you to view the pro E file (but you cant convert from there). If that doesn't give you the info required then ask for a STEP,IGES or whatever as Chris suggested.
Top Tags