cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Overlapping problem after sweeping geometry

ptc-6335237
1-Newbie

Overlapping problem after sweeping geometry

Hello

Thanks to the community I have figured out how to sweep multiple wires easily by copy pasting the sweeps: http://communities.ptc.com/thread/55641. It made my life so much easier.

As an extension to that problem, when I sweep the wires in opposite orientations to generate 3D stent, I have overlapping sweeps, which are not fused together and give me error when I try to mesh them in CFD solver.

Is there a way to fuse the points of overlap and make a single 3D structure which fuses all the swept wires into one CAD geometry?

For example intersection of these 2 wires gives this kind of a surface. Ca I fuse them and make them into a single 3D CAD object? Right now they are identified as 2 different objects and hence give problem of overlapping during meshing.

Capture1.PNG

Thanks a lot in advance!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

We are not seeing the full extent of how this model was created. Solid features typically merge on their own with only limited exceptions.

However, the geometry is exactly as you defined it. The reason they are not cleanly merged at the junctions is that the orientation of the sweep does not match. In the sweep dialog there are several orientation option that can be exploited. The default orientation is highly dependent on the driving geometry and how it was created.

Sorry, just to give a little background, I generate 3D wire curves in a FEA software and output a part file (.sat) that contains stent wire curves. I then import them to PTC Creo Parametric, and sweep a circular path along each wire. Swept wires in opposite direction should merge and give me a single object, but this is when the overlap happens.

Ideally they should intersect but merge into 1 object, but it is somehow coming up as 2 parts which shows overlap and give errors duing CFD.

enterprise_captured.PNG

Features that overlap themselves do not merge. Creo doesn't look for self-intersection.

If that is not the cause then I would look at changing the part to absolute accuracy and making the value a small number. It may be that Creo is not detecting the intersection and is leaving the part with multiple independent bodies because of that.

I did not look at the sweep orientation options but will definitely try and let you know.

Thanks!

Top Tags