cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

PTC Parametric not showing certain SolidWorks Files

jjiang
1-Newbie

PTC Parametric not showing certain SolidWorks Files

Hello,

Our robotics team recently started using Actobotic parts in our robot.Since we wanted to create a model of it in PTC Creo, we decided to search for pre-made files of actobotic pieces.

The issue is that some parts that we have installed from this link - 3D ContentCentral ‌- just won't show up in Creo.

One of these pieces is the channel. No matter how many times we try, ptc just won't open the file. We have installed these parts in the .prt file type, and my computer recognizes these pieces as PTC Parametric Compatible files.

We have tried looking around, and we don't know if this actually did anything, but we also installed a program called SolidWorks Explorer. But it didn't help in the end.

Something that I think may be the problem is that these Chassis files are 20 mb, and maybe Creo can't open files at this size.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

please provide exact links to problematic parts, if you want someone to check it's opening.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi,

I can't upload model from 3D ContentCentral, because it needs login. Please can you upload the model to this discussion ?

See How to Attach a File to a Discussion Reply for upload instructions.

MH

Martin Hanák
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:jjiang)

Help us help you, JJ.  You can paste images in the post and you can attach files with the advanced editor (upper right corner of the post window).

There are a couple of reasons PTC will not see Solidworks files.  SW is quite proud of that.

Here is the file.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

File name problem?

Yes, I believe the problem I have been experiencing might be due to the fact that the file name was too long.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

That and spaces is a problem.

Hi,

I renamed SparkFun Electronics-ROB-12500_ActoChannelx19u.PRT to SparkFun_Electronics-ROB-12500.PRT and problem is solved.

Rule no.1: Replace spaces with underscore.

Rule no.2: Shorten the name (maximum name length is 31 characters).

MH

Martin Hanák
Top Tags