cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

PTC if not done in Creo 4.0 then please make Measure tool usable again in Creo 5.0

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

PTC if not done in Creo 4.0 then please make Measure tool usable again in Creo 5.0

PTC if not done in Creo 4.0 then please make Measure tool usable again in Creo 5.0.

Its way untidy atleast uptill Creo 3.0 as i have not used Creo 4.0 yet.

13 REPLIES 13
anewbauer
4-Participant
(To:rohit_rajan)

I hope they fix a lot of things. As a Soldiworks user who is currently using Creo for a special customer i find the Creo is simply terrible to learn and is very cumbersome. Why can't you have a 3D sketch tool in it? Does PTC know what that even means?

sorry just venting!! 

What are you referring to 3D sketch tool?   You could always sketch in 3D on a 2D plane, just spin it while you are sketching or set your options to not start your sketch in a 2D orientation.  Terrible to learn is a two way street.  I sat down with SW once and it took me 30 minutes to create a box without help, so I would consider that terrible. But if you have someone to ask questions to or if you go to training you will find that they both do the same things.  I have always stood by the statement when talking about Pro/E, Wildfire, or Creo.  Can the software do this?  _________ insert what ever.  The answer has always been yes,  once or twice is has been not yet but soon. 

anewbauer
4-Participant
(To:rrich-2)

Ron,

Thanks for your reply. What i am referring to is top down design, say i have a assembly and want to design a part in position. In Solidworks i can simply grab (snap) to objects and connect things how i want with a 3D sketch. of a 2D sketch. In Creo you can't grab anything.

Please keep in mind i don't know Creo that well but it seems things have been removed since the PRO-E days.

I like a lot of things about Creo, i am not trying to bash it. But it seems simple task are very difficult from a basic Engineering perspective.

I know 4.0 has added some new features that seem very nice.

thanks again for you input.

regards

Allen  

anewbauer
4-Participant
(To:rrich-2)

Ron,

The other thing i would like to say something about is the drawings package of both.

Creating drawings with Creo is about a slow as 2D AutoCad.

That is one area that no one and stick up for PTC on.

Solidworks, NX both use the same kernel and functions are very simpler.

The drawing package in both is far superior to PTC Creo both in speed and functionally.

I agree the detail package has taken 2 steps back I spend twice as long creating drawings in Creo 4 vs Creo 2 I actually really miss the detailing in Wildfire it was much easier to use and a lot faster. I have been designing in Pro since version 15 so I have experienced its evolution for 25 plus years. Some aspects of the software improve the surfacing and the cabling are much better but the detail package sucks. 

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:anewbauer)

Allen frankly speaking i use both the software simultaneously, and there are many user friendly tools in solidworks including the measure tool.

But i never felt the need of using 3D sketch tool in solidworks other than for weldments.

What i meant to say for the measure tool in Creo was the untidy way the measurements are shown.

and that is the very reason i dont like to use it Stephen.

Using Ctrl to select multiple things was not there in Pro/Engineer measure tool.

anewbauer
4-Participant

Rohit,

Yes i agree only certain aspects of design might require a 3D sketcher. Currently I use Solidworks to Design parts in position inside a Assembly, as like for a fixture or really any kind of top down design. The thing that i don't like about Creo is it seems to make it very difficult when doing this. I am currently using Creo parametric which has no 3d sketcher. Not sure if elements or CADDS. Either way my point is it would be nice when layout out tubing to be able to grab (snap) to objects inside the assembly like you can in Solidworks.

thanks for you reply.

Regards

Allen   

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:anewbauer)

Creo Routed systems uses a 3d sketcher style dialog. It's specifically for tube/hose routing (and wiring).

Depending on your licensing, you may have it.

In an assembly, go to applications tab, then see if you have piping.

With anything Creo, there is a learning curve and some setup involved.

From a PTC Community standpoint, it would probably serve you better if you asked questions as separate posts instead of replying to a seemingly arbitrary discussion.

anewbauer
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thanks Stephen.

Allen,

Creo does Top Down very well. Your company me have restrictions on creating external links (references) within Assembly via config file settings. This is why you may not be able to "grab" things as you would like.

Dean

StephenW
23-Emerald II

What specifically is unusable? I use it all the time.

ok thing in measure tool that they have brought back in Creo 3.0 is the indicators for delta dimensions with respect to the coordinate system.

This was there till Creo 1.0 and removed in Creo 2.0 and now is back with Creo 3.0

Since i mainly work in Creo 2.0 so i missed this.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Yes, it's reasonable in Creo 3.

Top Tags