cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Parameter value having more than 80 characters

Ketan_Lalcheta
19-Tanzanite

Parameter value having more than 80 characters

Hi

We can create parameters in Creo Part with string type and lock the same so that users cannot edit it. What can be done to store if value of parameter is more than 80 characters long.

Thanks and Regadrs

Ketan

11 REPLIES 11

Unfortunately the 80 character limitation to the length of a parameter is hard-coded and has been that length for many years. I really don't see PTC willing to change this limitation since it would impact many things in the database and other areas of the system display.

Your best option is to train your users to respect the limitation AND/OR use multiple parameters to get that much information to be displayed. I suppose their could be custom code written to enter a string and either warn the user it went over 80 characters or do an automatic split into multiple parameters.

On another CAD system, it had an easy to use programming language that I had coded for drawing format information. Every string entered was checked for length and did a conversion to all upper case letters. if the length was wrong, the string was truncated and the user received a pop-up telling the parameter was too long.

Hi

I know it's going to be more than 80 characters for sure.... Actually it is the file names of some important documents or models we are intended to store. Could you think of any other method to store these details ?

Why do you need over 80 characters for file name?????

Hi

You are right.... File names couldn't be so long....

Actually, it's full path of file which is common location for all. End purpose is that who ever open that model should get the idea from where that document need to be referred.

I think you will find that this requirement will go away when you move to a Windchill environment.

In a native filing system, the use of folders with an index spreadsheet will work.

You could also create a simple Access database to provide the cross references and descriptions with a query function for searching.

Hi

Thanks... correct... windchill as plm would resolve this issue.

I could not get your point of "use of folder with index spreadsheet"... Could you please elaborate for me ?

Basically you create a folder structure with your files. Then use a spreadsheet with columns for different aspects of the data you want to capture.

Column headings might be:

Part Number

Part/Assembly (designation if a part or an assembly)

Part Name (Short description)

Drawing Number (May not need if part number is the Drawing number)

Folder (the folder that contains the part)

Description (Long description)

etc.

This will provide a lookup list to find the folder that any part is located in until you get things migrated to Windchill.

@Ketan_Lalcheta wrote:

Hi

We can create parameters in Creo Part with string type and lock the same so that users cannot edit it. What can be done to store if value of parameter is more than 80 characters long.

Thanks and Regadrs

Ketan

Hi,

maybe you can create flat screen note and put path to file in it.

Martin Hanák

Seems interesting to try....like locked parameter to stop user changing value of it,can we do similar kind of thing for note as well?

@Ketan_Lalcheta wrote:
Seems interesting to try....like locked parameter to stop user changing value of it,can we do similar kind of thing for note as well?

Hi,

I do not think that notes can be locked to prevent their modification.

Martin Hanák

I agree that you might want to split the parameter. Above 80 characters you are really getting to the point where you would be thinking about calling in a note from file or an annotation feature in the model.

&note_1 would call in full note if that is it's name just as you do with a parameter.

you could also look at restricted parameter sets to pull in complex combinations of information, I've used this for materials supporting information where it can pull in colour vendor and other user defined information in a set of parameters easily selected from a list or sub lists.

If you were to show an example of these long string parameters you might get more from the community.

Top Tags