cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Pattern Along A Curve

ptc-2076191
1-Newbie

Pattern Along A Curve

When I try and pattern along a curve the pattern does not follow the sketch path.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
16 REPLIES 16

What feature are you trying to pattern? I patterned a hole using a spline drawn within a sketch and it works, but only if the pattern leader (1st hole) is placed in one of the ends of the spline. To place it there I created an axis wich is normal to the surface and passes through one end of the spline. Best regards.

I don't think the leader has to be on the end of the curve. You can place a Datum Point on the curve at a proportional or absolute distance from the end, add a Datum Axis, etc. if needed, then pattern. David

I tried to place the pattern leader on another location of the spline and then pattern and it didn't work. It creates a pattern with an aproximated shape of the spline but none of the patterned holes were directly on top of the spline. When I placed the pattern leader on one end of the spline it worked just as intended. Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, though. If anyone knows how... please share! Best regards.

Guys, I just did a test to make sure (WF 3.0); no problem. Create a simple block, sketch a Spline Datum Curve on the top. Create a Datum Point by picking the Spline, select Real and enter a value. Now pattern the Point by incrementing the value. Create a Datum Axis through the Point, Normal to the surface of the block. Reference Pattern the Axis. Create a Coaxial Hole by picking the first Axis, then Reference Pattern it. David

Hi David, One question only: When you patterned the 1st point, did the pattern followed the spline shape from that point on and until the end of the spline (1), or did it patterned the point using the shape of the spline but starting from the 1st point location (2)? I mean: - in (1) you should get points directly on top of the spline following its shape; - in (2) you should get points with the shape of the spline but only by chance any of them would be on top of the spline Best regards.

Thanks guys. That works great Casey

Jose, Points were right ON the spline. If you want, I can email you the file. Sorry I didn't answer sooner; my internet connection has been down since a huge ice storm we had here. David

Hi David, No problem. Hope everything's OK now. My email is jvidal@tul.pt Thanks. Best regards.

Folks, Sorry about the time gone by, but here is an illustration of what we were discussing. In the foreground is a pattern of holes along a spline. This is a reference pattern of holes following a reference pattern of axes following a pattern of points. The first point was placed at a relative position of 0.1 and patterned 4 times at a relative increment of 0.26. On the curved surface above and to the rear is an example of a more complex possibility. The original spline was sketched on a plane above the part and projected to the cylindrical surface. Protrusions were created in a manner similar to the simpler hole example. This is a little trickier however, requiring careful attention to definition of internal sketching and reference planes, etc. David

Folks, Here's an example of a (barely!) successful reference pattern on a more complex (Boundary Blend) surface. This seemed to push the envelope. Several obvious choices of sketching and reference planes, as well as sketches, did NOT pattern appropriately. Even in this case, the sketch which produced the extruded cut would not quite successfully pattern as an extruded protrusion. Had to use swept surfaces along the curve for references. This does give an idea of possibilities, however. David

made a quick video showing how i pattern along a curve

http://communities.ptc.com/videos/1367

You can have the pattern start wherever you want if you create a small gap in the sketch at the start point. The first and last features will be on top of each other, so you have to add one to the number of instances. You can also disable one of the overlapping features if you want.

that is awesome to know! im going to delete my video tutorial and redo it with this information and give you credit in the video!

thanks!

Steve & David,

The way I usually do similar parts is not to use the Curve reference, but to place a Datum Point on the Curve, pattern it using Dimension, reference pattern an Axis, then a Hole. You can measure the curve for spacing, or even use an Analysis Feature to control it. An easy sub-technique is to do one half of the Curve, use the Reference Pattern technique, then Mirror.

David

CURVE_PATTERN-A.jpg

You can make the gap equal to 0 instead of 0.0001.

The illustration for the Jan. 1, 2009, post seems to have been lost with the new Forum interface. Just to give an idea of possible complexity, this shows a pattern on a Curve dropped onto a Boundary Blend Surface. Hidden are the Points and Axes that were patterned first in a chain of Reference patterning.

spline-pattern.jpg

Top Tags