cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Pattern relations

ptc-6168451
1-Newbie

Pattern relations

Hi all,

I have a problem I cant seem to get to the bottom off.

I have a pattern of holes driven by an excel table. I have some more features built off the original hole. One is an offset. I want to add a relation that scales the offset value by the diamter of the hole. All seems well at this point, but whn I group and reference pattern the group driven by the original pattern table each resulting offset is the same as the first.

How can I ensure the offset value is driven by the current pattern instance rather than the original pattern instance?

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-6168451)

You need to combine all the derivative features into a group first, then pattern the entire group.

Thanks for the reply. I did this originally but it didnt work.

The cery simple relation Ive written to link the offset value to the diamter is basically offset value(d5672) =17.5/ diameter(d2312).

However, when reference pattern takes place each of the 100 instances have the exact same offset dimension name (d5672) and also diameter dimension name (d2312). I guess as the diamter is controlled by a table pattern the system sees all as exactly the same and looks somewhere else for control over the value???

Any bright ideas on how to vary the offset to be linked to the already varying diamter which is in turn controlled by a table pattern would be most welcome.

Thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-6168451)

I just tried this and I'm seeing the same problem. The only workaround seems to be adding the additional dimensions to the pattern table.

Thanks Tom, bit of shame on this one. Seems like an obvious thing that it shouldnt do!! or at least give you the choice.

Might have to rethink this one!!!

There are a lot of little gotchas in the patterns. They've almost lost their logical conclusions.

Don't hesitate to report this in a customer support case. If nothing else, you will get an esoteric explanation of what you should have known all along, but it will tell PTC that things are not working as expected by actual users.

Top Tags