cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Persistent names of persistent entities in STEP export

tahir
5-Regular Member

Persistent names of persistent entities in STEP export

I have searched for the functions to attach entity names to edge or face entities and Creo Parametric provides promising results for this kind of functionality. The problem is if I want to export a part in revisions after modifications. The names of the old entities get modified. One such case is shown in the figure.

12 REPLIES 12
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:tahir)

@tahir 

Are these standard notes? 

Can you share a sample file?

tahir
5-Regular Member
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

I am not sure about the standard notes but these are attached when I select the option for export with names. I have attached the files. The file shown in left side of the figure is named as "sqrwn" and modified one is named as "sqrwn2".

The names are  52,62 etc. such as '52',#83.

For the case of left hand side

#99=ORIENTED_EDGE('52',*,*,#83,.F.);
#101=ORIENTED_EDGE('62',*,*,#100,.T.);
#103=ORIENTED_EDGE('57',*,*,#102,.T.);
#105=ORIENTED_EDGE('64',*,*,#104,.F.);
#106=EDGE_LOOP('61',(#99,#101,#103,#105));
#107=FACE_OUTER_BOUND('61',#106,.F.);

Whereas for the 2nd file

#147=ORIENTED_EDGE('100',*,*,#132,.F.);
#149=ORIENTED_EDGE('104',*,*,#148,.T.);
#151=ORIENTED_EDGE('66',*,*,#150,.F.);
#152=ORIENTED_EDGE('53',*,*,#103,.F.);
#153=ORIENTED_EDGE('107',*,*,#119,.T.);
#154=EDGE_LOOP('63',(#147,#149,#151,#152,#153));
#155=FACE_OUTER_BOUND('63',#154,.F.);

I have attached the files in CreoExport.zip. In the above figure, four fillets were added whereas the current case is with single fillet for simplicity.

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

@tahir 

Zip the file and attach to post. 

tahir
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the help I updated  the previous comment with a zipped folder

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

As of now there is no option to export persistent IDs to STEP

tahir
5-Regular Member

Yes, there is no option to export persistent IDs to STEP but there is the option of exporting names based on persistent IDs.

Isn't the basic answer that the edges affected by the round feature were actually replaced by new, shorter edges with new IDs?  This is basically the main reason not to reference edges when building children features!  They are doomed to fail because of such trivial upstream changes.

I'm not sure whether that can be "fixed" - essentially, this is how Creo internally manages the edges.  Perhaps there is a smarter way that Creo can preserve edge IDs, but that's a task for PTC and their programmers; I hope you are able to show this case to the product developers.

tahir
5-Regular Member
(To:pausob)

Well actually with respect to modeling you are right and I agree with you but with respect to the exchange/export of neutral file such as STEP, the information should remain persistent.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Why would you even want to do that?  As mentioned, it's not possible, unless maybe you went into the file in a text editor or something and changed them.

tahir
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

This kind of identification information may prove to be really helpful for the product life cycle.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

How, exactly?  I'm missing how this is important.  It's a STEP file, right?  FEATURE names I totally get.  Edge names?  Nope.  What are you planning to do with this information?

tahir
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

These persistent ids are beneficial in solving downstream applications such as assembly and cnc manufacturing for each revision of parts. These identifiers when exported from CREO are utilized in NX ans SolidWorks. Please refer to these 

General information and NX:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4047484

SolidWorks:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343206919_Maintaining_Associativity_in_Downstream_Applications_using_Exchangeable_Persistent_Identifiers_focusing_on_SolidWorks_case/stats

Top Tags