cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Pinning File in Recent Files List

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Pinning File in Recent Files List

Can anyone explain why pinning a file in the recent files list does not work very well?

I pinned a couple of files, a few days ago, in the recent files list under the File tab, as I would do in many other programs.  Today they are no longer pinned.  Shouldn't they stay pinned until I unpin them?  I am using 4.0 and I believe the issue has been in previous versions but I wasn't frustrated enough about it to ask the question.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

I created a support case with PTC.  With my help in understanding the issue, support services was able to recreate the problem and has SPR #8698458 with R&D.

Hopefully there will be a fix sometime in the near future.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I did some investigation ...

Recent Files List is saved in Windows Registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTC\Creo_Parametric folder.

Information about "file pinning" is saved in PinnedFile variable. The variable contains the sum of "index" values. Index value = power of 2
1st file in the list has index 1 ... 2^0
2nd file in the list has index 2 ... 2^1
3rd file in the list has index 4 ... 2^2
4th file in the list has index 8 ... 2^3
and so on

If you open another file, existing Recent Files List moves down.

If you are able to reproduce the problem, you can report it to PTC Support.

Martin Hanák
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:MartinHanak)

Doing more research, I found article CS252288, https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS252288&source=Article%20viewer.  Same issue reported to R&D.  Resolution: Closed as not repeatable, Set config.pro visible_recent_files set to 5.

Experimenting more with the pinning of files, I believe the issue is in the fact that the pinned files are not moved to the top of the list as they are in MS Office.  It appears that when the pinned file drops below the visible limit of 30, it disappears, with no regard to the config setting.  This also reduces the number of visible files from the config setting.  My config setting is currently 20, I only see 17 because I forced 3 pinned files below the limit of 30.

@kdirth wrote:

Doing more research, I found article CS252288, https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS252288&source=Article%20viewer.  Same issue reported to R&D.  Resolution: Closed as not repeatable, Set config.pro visible_recent_files set to 5.

Experimenting more with the pinning of files, I believe the issue is in the fact that the pinned files are not moved to the top of the list as they are in MS Office.  It appears that when the pinned file drops below the visible limit of 30, it disappears, with no regard to the config setting.  This also reduces the number of visible files from the config setting.  My config setting is currently 20, I only see 17 because I forced 3 pinned files below the limit of 30.

Hi,

you are right, pinned files are not located at the top of the list. This means that "pinned" function is poorly implemented. To see pinned files at the top of the list, you have to develop your own "pinned" function outside of Creo.

For example:

• in startup directory you create special file containing absolute file paths
  • you develop special Creo starting procedure which
    • reads this special file
    • reads the contents of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTC\Creo_Parametric folder in Windows Registry 
    • combines two above information sources into one and imports the result back into Windows Registry

Martin Hanák
kdirth
20-Turquoise

I created a support case with PTC.  With my help in understanding the issue, support services was able to recreate the problem and has SPR #8698458 with R&D.

Hopefully there will be a fix sometime in the near future.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

R&D reported they were unable to recreate the issue.  I gave them a simple 3 step process to create the issue I was seeing and they were able to recreate the issue.  Now we wait for a solution to be implemented.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Here is the final answer that I received:

R&D has planned to fix this issue in Creo Parametric 4.0 M110. As there is not further releases for Creo Parametric 5.0, this will not be fixed in Creo Parametric 5.0 version.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I have been using the 4.0 M130 for a couple of months with several files pinned.  The pinned files migrate to the bottom and return to the top if opened again, but do not disappear.

pinned.jpg

Top Tags