cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Point Tables

cballantoni
4-Participant

Point Tables

There needs to be a way to generate a parametric feature, such as an analysis feature, within the model where you select a coordinate system and a set of points either as a group of points, pattern of points, or select individual points. For example the points would be placed by whatever reference, place on surface from a datum, aligned to axes, etc., before the measurement feature is created. This would be a way to layout a dimensioning scheme for complicated surfaces that are not created by point clouds, but ultimately are dimensioned that way for inspection purposes. It could also be used for countless other geometries requiring many dimensioned point locations.

This feature should then be able to populate a table in a drawing to show those points in an easy to use customizable table format.

The "Hole Table" function in the drawing tools is very unflexible where the Z axis must be normal to the screen. Also the table is very limited in formating such as sorting and arrangement. It also isn't truly parametric since you have to be aware that you need to force update the table with any change in the model.

Solidworks has had a function like this for years and is constantly referred to by many who have used it and have tried to find it in PTC's software (Creo/Pro-E)

Current functionality that could probably be adapted to do this for future releases:

Currently an Analysis Distance Feature will measure from a coordinate system to a single point then you can select the coordinate system as the Projection Direction which gives you a X, Y, Z output for that single point. Also if the points are patterned you can pattern reference the analysis feature. The Analysis feature then has the ability to output those X, Y, Z numbers as specific parameters for each coordinate direction for each point. Given this type of functionality already exists this should be something that could be done in a more streamlined and automatic fashion for many points to measure and have the data outputted.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
SteveBarnhart
5-Regular Member
(To:cballantoni)

This would be a great enhancement for easily reading point locations out of Creo.  We have models that calculate lift points locations based on geometry and other inputs, for example.  This would streamline the process.

This is a good suggestion that I've added to the wishlist of features for the Analysis tool.

I like the Idea of having an KE like this.

For my purpose I built a Tool in .Net that reads the coordinates of all points in a model or assembly and writes a .csv or .dxf - File (choosable)

It also is able to read and update the coordinates of points created in a Point-KE based on coordinates to a coordinate system.

Hello Andreas,

This is a feature I really would like to have.

Are you able to share your tool? It would be great.

Johnny

This would be a good addition to the following product idea

Mechanism Clearance Check with Spatial Field Point Reporting (highlight on parts where clearance needs to be added)

Thanks,
Don Anderson
No time Like the Present!
Top Tags