cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Points table for machining cam

ptc-1701983
1-Newbie

Points table for machining cam

I've sketched a datum graph and used this profile to drive a variable section sweep producing the cam surface. Now I need an output of the height for every x degrees around the cam for the machine shop to produce it. Is there a simple (or parametric) way to put this on a drawing as a table?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I've patterned an axis so that I can define a reference pattern of points on the cam surface every few degrees then reference patterned a measurement analysis feature to give the dimension. Now I only need to figure out how to 'read' the dimension from each measurement analysis to put into the drawing table so that the table updates for different cams. Any ideas?

I used &DESCRIPTION:FID_# on an individual basis for points every three degrees. As long as the internal feature IDs are something that remains fixed then this should suffice, although not too pretty.

If the machine shop uses Mastercam, you can just give them the radial coordinate points. A c-hook to make the curve from a list of points is on the X4 downloads page under Add-ons. Specialy made for the cam industry. http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Downloads/MastercamX4/Files/PolarPointData2Geometry%20(X4).zip

of the cam surface and a plane (i.e. a cross-section curve of the cam surface) Step Two - create a pattern of points along said curve. Step Three - use the method outlined in the PTC "Suggested Technique for Exporting the Coordinates of Many Points" to create your desired point data...

Richard, Are you sure you have to do this this way? If someone in the chain between you and the machine shop has some kind of CAM software (Pro/Manufacturing on your end, Mastercam on the machine shop end, or somethiing similar) you should get better results by dealing directly with the 3-D model, rather than extracting points, then reinterpolating between them. Just a suggestion. David
Top Tags