cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Position of tool at start and end of 3-axis milling process

dm-3
1-Newbie

Position of tool at start and end of 3-axis milling process

Hi,

The tool starts few units outside the boundary to be machined when a milling process is initiated. It goes few units out at the end of the process.

Is there any option to make the tool to stay within the region to be milled.

I am not using a complex milling. Its just facing of a rectangular block.

--

Dhinesh

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:dm-3)

Dhinesh,

If you are using a face sequence I believe the tool will always go outside the region to be machined even If you are using a mill window and select the option inside the mill window it will still go outside the boundary.
If you want to stay inside your region I think you need to do a rough volume (under the roughing pull down) type sequnce then your tool will follow the option of inside the mill window.

Steve

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jrichard
1-Newbie

Dhinesh,

Go into your parameters for this facing sequence and look at the parameters listed below. When you highlight the parameter, a little graphic will show up and this should give you an idea of what these control. Try setting up different values and see what happens.

APPROACH_DISTANCE

EXIT_DISTANCE

START_OVERTRAVEL

END_OVERTRAVEL

One other option to create approach/exit moves is in the BUILD CUT definition. I am guessing you did not do this, but once you get a feel for the parameters above, look in the help section on adding approach/exit moves with the build cut.

Hope this helps,

Jon

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Dhinesh,

If you are using a face sequence I believe the tool will always go outside the region to be machined even If you are using a mill window and select the option inside the mill window it will still go outside the boundary.
If you want to stay inside your region I think you need to do a rough volume (under the roughing pull down) type sequnce then your tool will follow the option of inside the mill window.

Steve

Steve,

If you are simply using the FACE sequence, you can also control this by using ENTRY_EDGE and CLEARANCE_EDGE and select tool center, heel or leading edge. So the entire tool can be kept within the facing surface, if that is what you want. These parameters allow you to enter/exit the workpiece in a different number of ways. For most of my facing operations I want to start outside of my workpiece, get to my facing Z, and then actually clear it on each pass, and clear on the final pass.

There are some examples where you would want to use sequences other than FACE to perform facing, and with most of these you can either adjust the parameters or setup build cut options to get most any type of entry/exit strategy.

Jon

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:jrichard)

Jon,

You are correct. I forgot about the entry edge parameters. I don't do a lot of facing so I am rusty on the parameters.

You are also correct about build cut. It is your friend for entry and exit options. I use that for a lot of sequences.

Steve

Top Tags