cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Posterity Post - Creo - The CAD system formerly known as Pro/Engineer

AntonioVillanue
8-Gravel

Posterity Post - Creo - The CAD system formerly known as Pro/Engineer

So, PTC/User boards are alive with talk about Creo. I finally was able to watch the replay last night.  While I will do my fair share of jabbing, I was impressed with what I saw. As I formerly blogged after PTC/User World Event, Project Lightning (aka Creo, aka The artist CAD system formerly known as Princero/Engineer) still isn't that shocking. Maybe I got a little tingle ("Ooo, that tickles") like licking a 9 volt, but that's all. I guess if I appeared yesterday from 1985 in a frosty Delorean, I would say "Doc, you gotta take a look at this."

bttf.jpeg

• Rebranding - Much of what was shown in regards to the apps is the same toolset under a different name.  CoCreate, Wildfire and Product View. Nothing new here. Now with lemon! I just have to update all my user documentation, resume, websites and links now. Thanks!
  • AnyRole App and UI Changes - This is the ribbon UI. We've seen this coming for some time.  I know this is the biggest issue for us jumping on Wildfire Creo elements/Pro 5 has been the Drawing interface changes.  I guess we'll have to hold a group therapy session and get over it.  Having a common look and feel will be easier eventually but PTC has been on this track longer before Creo.  Kudos to trying to simplify the interface. I like the idea of a configurable UI paired with a user role.  I think that would bring in a lot more users into the system from the edges.  This seems to be a natural progression from the Product View light enhancements.
  • AnyMode Modeling - Here is where you have my attention. This is a make or break area. If we are able to have design data flow between these different apps as shown, then you got it made.  I have seen in my organization that there are different classes of users and direct modeling might apply for them.  To be able to manipulate geometry in a simpler app without breaking it would be huge. I have already thought that changing our release standards to be more accepting of alternate design data might be worth looking into.
  • AnyData Adoption - The demo was slick but I really have to be skeptical here. I've seen some crappy imports in my time.  What are the limits to feature recognition and is it automatic?  We do not get into a lot of collaborative design with different CAD systems but the occasional 2-day time saver on correcting imports would be a plus. 
  • AnyBOM Assembly - Welcome back Dynamic Design Link. I've missed you. Say where've you been? What have you been up to? Don't get me wrong. I thought this was a great product before and still could be after a trip the microwave.  I can't say that my group has a need but companies with these types of products should be looking hard at it.
  • Open System and Data Model - Ok, now you have my attention. Having an open system with a revamped data model as a developer is what I wanted to here. There was talk to allow third parties to develop apps on top of Creo. Does this mean we will be seeing a Creo app store in the future? This could be PTC's Apple moment. Hopeful, I will be telling my users one day, "There's an app for that." Something I have been waiting for is a data model written in RDF so that we can extend PLM in to the Semantic Web. That is when the smart apps will arrive.

So, overall, I was impressed but I doubt it needed the big hoopla and faux prison break.  What PTC appears to have done is to start connecting everything together and polishing it.  This is a tall order but one that holds a lot of promise.  You can achieve brand loyalty beyond the years of data locked up in Pro/E models. Why do some people swear by Apple products? Because you can pick it up and it works.  PTC products need to do the same.  You've got my attention. Let's see what they can build on top of Creo. Mmmm, Creo.

creo.jpg

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags