cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Query the number of instances in a fill pattern; Analysis feature creation

MarkEvans
1-Newbie

Query the number of instances in a fill pattern; Analysis feature creation

All,

I'm wondering if any of you know of a way to intelligently query the number of instances in a fill pattern.

I am doing a weight optimization and am putting in circular holes to take weight out of an object. The holes are patterned with a hexagonal fill pattern and the spacing between successive instances is relationally controlled to a value of 3 times the hole diameter (as I increase the hole diameter....the number of holes is reduced).

The weight vs hole diameter graph is somewhat sawtoothed in nature with an overall upward trend on my actual part. I would like to be able to generate another plot when doing the optimization that shows hole qty vs hole diameter. Does anyone know a way to create an analysis feature that will report the total number of instances in a hole pattern for a given diameter? I am thinking that I need to have an analysis feature created in order to access it in the optimization analysis.

Unfortunately I am unable to post my exact part...but I did attach a sample part which you can look at to get a reasonable idea of what I'm doing.

-Mark

****UPDATE****

I was able to manage a solution by calculating the number of holes based on the formula

NUM_HOLES=floor((INITIAL_AREA-MODIFIED_AREA)/HOLE_AREA)

After creating the NUM_HOLES parameter, I then created an analysis feature based on this parameter. Once the analysis feature was created, the sensitivity analysis was able to output hole diameter vs hole qty as desired.

If anyone has any other solutions...I'd love to hear them.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

I have not worked with the analysis feature fo ProE before, but I do know that any pattern feature has a built in parameter that you can call that contains the number of active points in the pattern (&pattern_no). Would it be possible for your analysis feature to call this feature parameter in some way?

Top Tags