cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Reconstrain Sketch Dimensions to Two Planes

al3
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Reconstrain Sketch Dimensions to Two Planes

Have a sketch that is basically copied from a profile of external geometry and then deleted all references and picked two planes and then solved the sketch to make it independent of the external geometry. The only issue I have is that the sketch constraints try and dimension to one another. Is there a way to force the dimensions to not be able to dimension to one another but only go back to the default plane references i defined?

4 REPLIES 4
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:al3)

@al3 wrote:

Have a sketch that is basically copied from a profile of external geometry and then deleted all references and picked two planes and then solved the sketch to make it independent of the external geometry. The only issue I have is that the sketch constraints try and dimension to one another. Is there a way to force the dimensions to not be able to dimension to one another but only go back to the default plane references i defined?

Hi,

I am not sure that I understand your question.

Tip: Do not create dimensions referencing datum planes in original section. Instead of it create centerlines coincident with datum planes and then create create dimensions referencing these centerlines.

Martin Hanák
al3
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Basically i needed to create a offset cover of an external part, so i just used the project button and copied all the geometry from that part i needed to create the cover, which contains a lot of cutouts and edges. When i go into my sketcher to remove all the external references, then just click two default planes in my model tree and solve the sketch. However, when i do this, some of the cutout edges will reference other edges of sketch entities and not dimension off the two planes i picked. I added a very simple example below, hopefully it clears it up. Just seeing if there is a way to easily do this or if i have to do it all manually.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@al3 wrote:

Basically i needed to create a offset cover of an external part, so i just used the project button and copied all the geometry from that part i needed to create the cover, which contains a lot of cutouts and edges. When i go into my sketcher to remove all the external references, then just click two default planes in my model tree and solve the sketch. However, when i do this, some of the cutout edges will reference other edges of sketch entities and not dimension off the two planes i picked. I added a very simple example below, hopefully it clears it up. Just seeing if there is a way to easily do this or if i have to do it all manually.

Hi,

I think you cannot force Creo Sketcher to dimension all entities to two datum planes. Manual dimensioning is necessary.

Martin Hanák
KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Seems that when creating weak dimensions, Creo restricts the references for said dimensions to sketch geometry. The intent was probably to try to make the sketch as fully contained unto itself as possible. A reasonable practice, especially if you might want to copy a sketch from one model to another.

Since every sketch entity must be defined by some sort of complete dimension scheme at all times, I see no other way than to manually "correct" the dimensions to use the references you desire. I know that for me, the "default" dimensions created by Creo are pretty much *never* in the configuration I want.

Also, Martin's suggestion (putting centerlines in the sketch and dimensioning to them) is excellent and makes copying a sketch from one model to another very easy.

Top Tags