cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Rectangular helical sweep feature

hhagedorn
6-Contributor

Rectangular helical sweep feature

Hello out there,

is there anybody out there who knows how to create a rectangular helical sweep Feature, as in the shown black and white Picture?

Rectangular helical sweep feature.jpg

I tried my best to get a solution, but it is not to be used. The gradient is somehow not constant in the red area to the blue area. The reason is the great difference between the inner radius and the outer radius. If the shape of the required rectangle increases, or edge lengths are the same length (quadrangle). Then the slope becomes more linear.

Rectangular helical sweep feature_I.jpgRectangular helical sweep feature_II.jpg

Is there any help out there?

Thanks Heiko

61 REPLIES 61
mslattery
4-Participant
(To:hhagedorn)

Hello Heiko,

The key to the solution to this problem is the need to understand that for any helix of a given fixed constant pitch the helix angle will vary with increasing or decreasing diameter. This is the reason for the dip in the helix angle at the intersection with the long flank of the rectangular surface. To succeed with this you will have to use a curve from equation and unless you are absolutely brilliant at mathematics you will need an accomplished maths guru to accomplish this; but it can be done. There is a very slim chance it could be correctly achieved with geometry and most likely with a very complex pitch graph. I would be fascinated to see the construction of a successful model that is absolutely correct.

Regards Michael.

mslattery
4-Participant
(To:hhagedorn)

Hello Heiko

I have created an example using Curve from equation I would say it is approximate but you will get the Idea. Someone with good skills in Calculus would easily be able to make this perfect.

Sorry but the part was created in Creo 4.0 hope you can open it.

Regards Michael.

Top Tags