cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Redefine Datum Planes

dwright-2
1-Newbie

Redefine Datum Planes

As I have stated before I am new to CREO and have only been using it about 2 months. I have a file that we obtained from one of our chassis suppliers and the datum planes are inconsistent with the way I need to use the chassis that is in the file. The side view in the attached file has the cab of the chassis pointing down and I need to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise where the chassis has the wheels down and is parallel to what would be the ground. How do I redefine the planes to what I need?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Doug, I think you need to read the help section on view orientation. There is too much to cover to create a tutorial for it here. I'm guessing that is the problem as the spin center is also turned 90 degrees. If it is that the model is assembled incorrectly, then you'll need to redefine the assembly. The datum planes have nothing to do with this.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dwright-2)

There are a couple of ways. You could go in and edit the constraints on the cab, but if any of the constraints on the following subassemblies do not reference the cab, but the primary datums, you may have issues.

You could make a "phantom" assembly (or pass through assemlby) a level above this where you "insert" your suppliers part with the orientation that you desire.

Some one else may have better ideas.

Thanks, Dale

Doug, I think you need to read the help section on view orientation. There is too much to cover to create a tutorial for it here. I'm guessing that is the problem as the spin center is also turned 90 degrees. If it is that the model is assembled incorrectly, then you'll need to redefine the assembly. The datum planes have nothing to do with this.

I'd agree with David. Your truck model looks fine - it's just your views that are the wrong way up!

Seriously, 'top', 'left' etc in a 3D model are just conventions - if it's really important to you to have the named views work 'correctly' then re-define your named views.

Out of curiosity, which way are the coord system axes facing? In my experience, vehicle models typically use +ve X backwards, +ve Y right, +ve Z up (which may or may not match your view definitions) - but as I said this is just a convention...

Thanks for the feed back. I used Reorient to correct the views to what I needed. Thanks again.

If all you need is the ability to look atthe assembly in the proper orientation, David's answer will sufice.

If, however, you want it actually reoriented so that the truck looks right in "default" orientation, that is more difficult.

If these are native Creo / Proe files that were build that way, it's likely not worth the effort to correct it. Every assy would need to b rebuilt and many models rebuilt as well.

If, however, this is an assembly built from an inported STEP, IGES or other neutral format, you can create a new coordinate system that is roatated 90 degrees from the default coordinate system and re-import the geometry and use that CS instead of the default. Your truck will then face the correct way in default orientation.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags