cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Regenerating Family Table Instances

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Regenerating Family Table Instances

Using Creo 4.0 (no Windchill)

I find that if I have the drawings open for (4) parts: A.drw, B.drw, C.drw, & D.drw and that these for parts are contained as instances in a family table of Generic - ABCD.prt, that when I verify the family table (and I get "Success" on all for instances A, B, C, & D) that when I go to any of the drawings, I need to regenerate the drawing to get rid of the little yellow dot.

If I just verified the family table, why is the model in the drawing wanting to be regenerated? I am not doing this in the proper order in order? Sometime I regenerate the instance and save the drawing is says that the other instances have not been regenerated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I think I found the issue causing the regeneration issue.

First: Thanks to @BenLoosli  & @Patriot_1776  for their help and getting me on the right track.

I had a couple of relations in the part file:

/*creates MASS and VOLUME using MASS_PROP_1 feature
MASS=MASS:FID_MASS_PROP_1
VOLUME=VOLUME:FID_MASS_PROP_1

Two different solutions worked and I tested both.

-The first was to comment these two relations out by adding "/*" in front of both lines. After doing this, when I verified the family table (FT) the drawings stayed "green" dot status. If I changed the FT (without verifying) and went to the drawings, they were all "yellow" status. Go back to the model and verify the FT and they were all "green" again.

-The second was to move these relations from the "Initial" to "Post Regeneration" tab.

relations_initial.PNG

Then after verifying the FT, the drawings remained "green" dot.

Hope this helps someone else too.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Do you have post-regeneration relations in your FT generic?

The drawing may just be flagging that the FT has been regenerated and so the drawings needs to be also?

If you verify and save the FT, then open the drawings, do they show the yellow dot for regeneration?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

What are post-regeneration relations?

I will check about the regen if the drawing has been opened after the family table (FT) regeneration.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

When I added a dimension to the family table (didn't change the values of the dim, it just wasn't in the family table) and then verified the family table (all instances were Success"ful") and then opened up one of the drawings from the family table, the little yellow dot was there "begging" for regeneration.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I did a regeneration on the drawing, save it. Existed out of everything. Erase all. Reopened the generic and deleted the dimension that I just added. Verified the family table. Opened up the same drawing and "lo and behold" the little yellow dot reappeared.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Open the relation editor, in the lower right corner is a drop-down that says Initial. Click the arrow and you have the option for Post Regeneration relations. In family table parts the weight will not update unless it is done as a Post regeneration relation. I use this for all of our hardware items so we can get the weight into the assemblies.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

In the particular part I am looking at now, I do not have any Post Regeneration relations.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

A new twist tested.

I regenerate the drawing. Save the drawing. Erase all not displayed. Reopen the drawing and the little yellow dot is asking for a regeneration? Why? Nothing has changed other that I removed the model from the memory and it has to recall it.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Do like I do, ignore the little yellow light and all your problems go away!

Seriously, do you use Windchill PDMLink? I lock my files in PDMLink so they don't regenerate and that solves some of these issues.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

As stated in the first line of the post: No Windchill.

Thanks for the thought.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

Sorry. The little yellow dot bugs me. Maybe an OCD thing. Not sure.

I'm guessing that it may be related to the fact that the completed geometry for the instances is not stored. Verifying simply ensures that the instance WILL regenerate properly. Instance accelerators might help.

@Dale_Rosema wrote:

Using Creo 4.0 (no Windchill)

I find that if I have the drawings open for (4) parts: A.drw, B.drw, C.drw, & D.drw and that these for parts are contained as instances in a family table of Generic - ABCD.prt, that when I verify the family table (and I get "Success" on all for instances A, B, C, & D) that when I go to any of the drawings, I need to regenerate the drawing to get rid of the little yellow dot.

If I just verified the family table, why is the model in the drawing wanting to be regenerated? I am not doing this in the proper order in order? Sometime I regenerate the instance and save the drawing is says that the other instances have not been regenerated.

Hi,

I tested the problem in CR4 M060 (see attached zip file). My config.pro is almost empty.

1.]

I created ft.prt.1 and 3 drawings. Drawings are saved without display.

When I open drawing I can see green light.

2.]

I modified ft.prt ... I added d1 into FT, set values, verified and saved.

When I open drawing I can see green light.

Martin Hanák

'Morning Dale!

I think there may be a regeneration issue in creo.  I've noticed that even with non family table parts, if I try and do a save, it ALWAYS states that the model hasn't been regenerated.  Sometimes in an assembly, I do it, and it STILL tells me to regenerate it.  If I regen twice, and that still doesn't clear it, I simply proceed with the save.

Granted, our start parts in my new job have an absurd amount of parameters and bunch of relations in them, but I've never seen this behavior before.

Long story short, 2 regens should fix any relations issues.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I think I found the issue causing the regeneration issue.

First: Thanks to @BenLoosli  & @Patriot_1776  for their help and getting me on the right track.

I had a couple of relations in the part file:

/*creates MASS and VOLUME using MASS_PROP_1 feature
MASS=MASS:FID_MASS_PROP_1
VOLUME=VOLUME:FID_MASS_PROP_1

Two different solutions worked and I tested both.

-The first was to comment these two relations out by adding "/*" in front of both lines. After doing this, when I verified the family table (FT) the drawings stayed "green" dot status. If I changed the FT (without verifying) and went to the drawings, they were all "yellow" status. Go back to the model and verify the FT and they were all "green" again.

-The second was to move these relations from the "Initial" to "Post Regeneration" tab.

relations_initial.PNG

Then after verifying the FT, the drawings remained "green" dot.

Hope this helps someone else too.

@Dale_Rosema,

I am just adding my 2 cents here, but here's an overview of the main components of a PRO/Program:

INPUT

RELATIONS

EXECUTE STATEMENTS (only with assemblies)

MODEL TREE

POSTRELATIONS

MASSPROP

As you can see, the POSTRELATIONS are after the Model Tree.

HTH!

Top Tags