cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Remove all material from intersecting parts

dwright-2
1-Newbie

Remove all material from intersecting parts

I am trying to remove all of the material from a cylinder or shape that has a pipe or other shape passing thru it. I have tried the cut out operation, but it only removes the material at the outline of the pipe passing thru the wall of the cylinder. Can anyone tell me how to remove all of the material from a part that has another part intersecting and passing thru it? I have found post that indicate that there used to be a cut operation associated with Sweep that is no longer in CREO, but was in older versions of Wildfire.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

You probably mean that it looks like a plug is left after the pipe is used to make a cut. If you make the pipe completely solid this won't happen. Otherwise Creo doesn't have a way to know the material that is inside the pipe wall is the same as the material that is simply enclosed by the pipe wall.

You could instead make an assembly cut using the pipe as a reference and create the geometry that works as desired.

Thanks David. I have been searching for information on an Assembly Cut, but can't seem to find anything. I have checked the Command Finder and CREO Help to no avail. Googled it too and haven't found anything. Got any ideas about where I could find details on exactly how to do an Assembly Cut? Sometimes I wonder why it is so difficult to find information on CREO operations.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dwright-2)

With an assembly open, it uder the Model tab CUT & SURFACE.

Hole, Extrude, Revolve are shown, hit the little arrow shown and it gives you other options, like sweep, blend, helical

assy-cut.jpg

I looked in Cut & Surface, but I don't see Assembly Cut? Is it called something else??

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dwright-2)

Since you are in an assembly, they are all "assembly cuts" (other than surface creation). Extrude for a cut normal to the sketch, revolve for a cut around an axis, sweep for a cut along a trajectory, etc.

Thanks again.

Top Tags