Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename part & drawing with dissimilar names

SOLVED

Rename part & drawing with dissimilar names

A quick search of the web tells me that this question has been asked many times before but none of the solutions I have found work for me and assume that the part and drawing are named the same.

I am running Pro-E Wildfire 5 and have a drawing abc.drw that calls part def.prt. I want to rename my drawing and part so that ghi.drw calls part ghi.prt.

I have tried opening both together then selecting File > Rename for the part with "Rename on disk and in session" set. Although ghi.prt is selected this does not create a ghi.prt file. Instead it keeps the def.prt file and updates the drawing model tree to call ghi<def>.prt.

If I do something similar for the drw file. i.e File > Rename > Rename on disk and in session then I do get a ghi.drw file but it still calls the def<ghi>.prt.

How do I rename my PRT file?

I am a pro-E novice, so would appreciate anyone who can help spell out the steps.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rename part & drawing with dissimilar names

You definitely have a family table. When you see a part name like this:

instance<generic>.prt

That indicates a family table driven part. The generic name is in the brackets, the instance name is before.

So, am I correct in assuming that you have generic master part 1150137912 with a version 1076336763 and it's flat 1076336763_flat. You want to create a new version of 1150137912 but keep 1076336763 and the flat. Correct?

If so, it's a bit complicated, but not too bad. Try this:

1. Open the drawing and save it as a new name. We'll come back to it later.
  2. Open the generic 1150137912.
  3. Open the family table inside the generic by going to tools > family table. It looks a bit like excel, but it's not as friendly. Each row represents an instance, each column a variable item. It could be a feature turned on and off or a dimension to vary. Your table likely has two instances (or maybe more) and at least one column, the flat pattern or unbend feature to make the flat.
  4. Click in the part name cell for the last row (instance) and hit enter. That creates a new row and a new instance. Type in the name you want.
  5. Hit enter again and type in the name of the flat for the new part.
  6. Now, duplicate the entries in each column from the old part to the new. For example, the old will have "N" in the unbend, your new should have "N" in the unbend. The old flat will have "Y" in the unbend, your new flat should have "Y" in the unbend. This will give you duplicates of the original instance and flat.
  7. Select the column to the left of the unbend. Click the "insert column" icon on the toolbar. It should be next to the binoculars. This brings up a dialog box.
  8. In the dialog, at the bottom select "feature". now select the flange you want to remove from the new instance.
  9. Select OK.
  10. All the cells in the new column will have * in them. This means that it is just like the generic. If suppressed in the generic, it will be in the instance. You want it to say "Y" for all the old instances and "N" for the new. Keep in mind, removing this from the instance will also remove all its children from the instance.
  11. Click OK in the Family Table dialog. You've just made two new instances.
  12. Save
  13. Go back to the new copy of your drawing. You now need to replace the models with the new instances you created. Right click in an empty part of the drawing and select 'Drawing Models'. In the pop up menu, select replace. Pick the model you want to replace and then the corresponding new family table instance you just created. I'm assuming your drawing has both a formed and flat state, so you'll have to do this for each.
  14. Save and then clean up your drawing as needed.

You now have the new instances in your existing generic with the old. I typed this up with WF5 open, so it ought to be accurate, but I did do it rather quickly. Let me know if you have more questions.

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

You're close. You are probably holding your tongue wrong when you renamed the part file. It could well be that there is a working folder issue in the way.

I do this all the time for drawing revisions where I change both the model and drawing names.

This is -my- process; although you will likely get other tips as well. I just stick to the roots of how Pro|E works.

Open the original drawing

File>save-as>backup ...into a temporary folder. This saves everything!

Close the drawing

Erase not displayed (and nothing is displayed)

Change working folder to the temp backup folder

Open the drawing

Open the part from the drawing

Rename the part file

Save the part file

Close the part file

(Drawing file now active) Rename the drawing file (note it is now calling for the new part file)

Save the drawing file

Close the drawing file

Erase not displayed (again, nothing is being displayed)

In Windows Explorer, move the two new files to your normal working folder or into one of the search path folder.

Set you working folder to where it normally is

Open the drawing - this is now the new drawing name and it calls the new model as well.

This is all really easy once you get use to it. I am so use to it I don't even think about it (don't even realize how many steps are involved!). I don't use any of the new interfaces other than to just accept all the way through.

..and welcome to the forum!

Thanks Antonius for your quick response. I must be holding my tongue the wrong way because I still have troubles. What you described is basically what I was doing, and I have repeated your exact steps just to be sure. The trouble is that when I rename the PRT file it doesn't create a PRT file with the name specified and where you had

(note it is now calling for the new part file)

I get NewName<OldName>.prt

i.e. It saves the part, when I attempt to rename, under the OldName and just gives it a NewName reference. This is what is driving me balmy (and probably the reason why my tongue is hanging out in the first place .

Ohhhhh.... are you using family tables?

It looks like family tables. If so, are all the instances going to be in the new family?

Sorry, I don't even know what family tables are - I'm not really a Pro-E user, I just need to make one change to an existing drawing that was created by someone else years ago. The drw and prt files appear to be stand alone.

Sustainability of Pro|E files is a very commonly overlooked requirement when people start mucking around with "cool features". That is why I like bare bones, easy to explain, and readily accessible data.

And many will say that they cannot live without family tables, but I've done it for decades.

What are family tables? It is a way to make variations of the same part with one file. In your case, you have a specific variation of the master part, but the thing you are renaming is buried inside that master part file. This certainly makes things a bit more complicated and since I am not an expert at this, I hope someone else can step up to clarify how to deal with this.

It always helps to try it myself.

In the model tree of the drawing, when you right click on the model xxx<yyy>, select "Open Generic"

Now you follow all the same steps. The "generic" is the master file. When you rename it, all the family table components will follow.

Hi Antonius, Thanks for persisting with me on this but I still had no joy. Here is what I get:

I start with two file in folder Test (1076336763.drw.1 & 1150137912.prt.1)

Open the original drawing

I open 1076336763.drw.1

File>save-as>backup ...into a temporary folder. This saves everything!

File > Backup then select folder Destination

Destination folder now has 1076336763.drw.1, 1150137912.prt.1, 1076336763.xpr & Destination.idx

Close the drawing

File > Close Window

Erase not displayed (and nothing is displayed)

File > Erase > Not Displayed offers 1150137912.prt, 1076336763.prt & 1076336763.drw

Change working folder to the temp backup folder

File > Set Working Directory and select Destination folder

Open the drawing

Opened Destination\1076336763.drw

The model tree calls 1076336763<1150137912>.PRT

Open the part from the drawing

I right-click the 1076336763<1150137912>.PRT and select Open Generic

I am prompted to Select Instance (this is a folder sheet metal part). I am offered 1076336763 and 1076336763-BLANK. I select 1076336763 because that is the part that the drawing calls.

Rename the part file

File > Rename Model=1076336763.PRT, New Name is changed from 1076336763 to AAA, Common Name is greyed out but says 1150137912.PRT, Rename on disk and in session is checked.

Save the part file

The Model tree in the part file now shows AAA<1150137912.PRT>

Destination folder now has:

1076336763.drw.1

1076336763.xpr

1150137912.prt.1

Destination.idx

1150137912.prt.2

aaa.xpr

1150137912.prt.3

Close the part file

File > Close Window

(Drawing file now active) Rename the drawing file (note it is now calling for the new part file)

No - The drawing model tree shows AAA<1150137912>.PRT

Save the drawing file

Denstination folder now has 1076336763.drw.2

Close the drawing file

File > Close Window

Erase not displayed (again, nothing is being displayed)

File > Erase > Not Displayed offers 1150137912.PRT, AAA.PRT and 1076336763.DRW

In Windows Explorer, move the two new files to your normal working folder or into one of the search path folder.

I copied 1076336763.drw.2 and 1150137912.prt.3 (AAA.PRT file was never created) to a new folder

Set you working folder to where it normally is

File > Set Working Directory to this new folder

Open the drawing - this is now the new drawing name and it calls the new model as well.

1076336763.drw.2 is opened.

Its model tree calls AAA<1150137912>.PRT