cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Repeat pattern on surface following a curve?

ptc-5675800
1-Newbie

Repeat pattern on surface following a curve?

Hello,

I am trying to repeat a pattern on a surface.

I would like the pattern to follow a curve (it is a closed curve).

The repetition does not follow the line. Here is screenshot to show you my problem.

Thanks for your help,

-Alisson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Alisson,

Can you please check the part now and let me know your requirement achieved or not.

Thangavijay T

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

In your image, the top checkbox allows you select an alternate origin. This is how you avoid offsets as you are experiencing.

Thanks for your reply,

I have tried to select different origins, but it the repetition still doesn't follow the curve.

The alternate origin has to be the point where the original is on the curve.

What happens is that the original origin is referenced to the curve, but the pattern's origin is in what it perceives to be the center of the patterned feature.

I find this highly frustrating specially when it is only slightly off and you miss this important, sometimes critical issue.

Feel free to post the part so someone can have a look. Let us know if it is an academic version or not. Also what version it was created with.

Hi Alisson,

Can you upload the part to investigate.

Regards

Thangavijay T

There are numerous posts on this subject over the years. Just do a search on 'pattern curve' & you will see. I attach a part that i once down loaded in response to the same issue, i still reference this part from time to time, if i find myself struggling with pattern curve issues. Also Doug Schaeter once gave a good explanation on curve patterns which i still find useful, i attach that too.

Curve Pattern.PNG

Thank you all for your answers.

I will have a look at the part you sent me and other posts.

Here is the part I have problems with / CREO 2.0 /

Hi Alisson,

Can you please check the part now and let me know your requirement achieved or not.

Thangavijay T

You were pretty much there, i simply redefined your original offset feature, placing it at the other end of the curve, where the start point arrow showed.

Regards

John

Just realized you are using Creo 2, i had saved it in Creo 3. Plus, i went back and had another look at the model & realized the patterned features were not merged to the curved quilt.

Please find attached Creo 2 model.

John

Thank you john !

Your parts works well too ! What parameters have you changed so that the pattern features are merged with the curve quilt ?

There are 2 Pattern types, Standard Pattern type & Geometry Pattern. You selected Geometry Pattern which only patterns the geometry selected & not the associated merge feature too. Use a standard Pattern.

John

Thanks !

I am new to this forum it is very helpful !

This forum has saved me, more times than I care to remember. If I am struggling with something, its the first place I turn to for help.

John

Top Tags