cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Replace by copy

claurier-2
1-Newbie

Replace by copy

Hello,

I want to do a replace by copy,

The problem: the copy of the part has been saved in the directory of the part not the working directory.

I can't put the part in the working directory (library part).

Grtz

Christophe

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

You can move files around manually. You just have to remember that there are files stuck in memory which have to be released first.

The easiest way to deal with difficult file locations is to do a backup of the highest level assembly where the part is used. Once backed up in its own folder, move the files you want from there to where ever you want them (and change the number on the end of the filename to the highest). Close all files in Creo/WF/Pro|E and erase-not-displayed. Set your default directory where the files were moved to. Now open the parts and/or assembly as you like. Loading parts always searches your work directory first.

I would not recommend this procedure as in the end you will have different revisions of the same part/assy all over your folders. You cannot even count on the revison number as it will be set to one by backup.

You should use search paths.

The sequence Creo looks for files is:

- memory

- working folder

- search paths in given order

You create a search path by

- search_path my_folder or

- search_path_file my file in your config.pro

The search path file is a text file with each folder listed in line of its own.

You should find more information in the help files.

Reinhard

I work already with a search path.

I'll will give an example of the problem.

I have made a library with tubes (standard lengths)

When I make a new assemblies i use the library parts.

5 tubes of 2m and I need one tube of 0,8m (witch is not in the library)

I do a replace by copy.

Problem the tube of 0,8m is not in the working directory.

For the tubes i work with a family table, putting in more tubes is not an option.

Grtz

Chrisophe

I would use a family table.

Brgs,

Michael

I have already a family table.

If I put all the length of the tubes, the family table wil be to big.

Grtz

Christophe

I have worked a lot with very comprehensive models without a PDM system like Windchill. Managing the files in relation to the search path is still quite a manual process and a significant effort when you are creating new parts from old parts. No matter what, you will get a lot of stuff in your working directory that needs to be moved to their appropriate folder on the server. It takes commitment to a reliable way of working. With 4 people on an enterprise wide development environment, the process was highly reliable nearing 100%.

The scenario was to have folders for part number families. When a new part was created for a specific part number, we would do a backup into the folder for that family. An administrative "cleanup" routine would remove all the file not conforming to the naming convention. This process removes the "revision/version" problem as well. Other parts that have not been changed may also be overwritten, but that is of no consequence as "no changes were made" to that part with the possible exception of cosmetic changes. this would happen anyway even if the backup process was not done in that folder. It also solves the PDM "cannot save part for the files are locked and are read only" when you haven't made any change that warrants the error. In general, we used common sense rather than hard rules.

Back to being on track with the discussion: Managing Pro/E (any version) without Windchill is a nightmare at best. Anytime you change folders to open a file, be it a symbol, a table, library part... etc, it seems to think you changed your working directory unless you specifically restate the fact. It is very poor form for software of this caliber but it has been this way since day 1. After you complete the backup process (consider this a temp folder) and move your files to the appropriate location -and- change the revision/version appropriately, the backup folder can be deleted. I am not in favor of any duplication of data strewn around the server and workstation, obviously. Company policy should clearly state what kind of files will be found where. Working folders, and temporary backup folders are just that, places to manage new files. The operator -is- the PDM solution without Windchill.

The Purge command too is your friend for managing working and archive folders. Again, this should be done as an administrative cleaning process anywhere from once a week to once a month depending on how much data you want to maintain. A robust backup regimen is also highly recommended if not imperative.

If anyone has a failsafe manual PDM process with large folder and file counts that can boast a very high success rate, please provide a "document" fully detailing this process. If I knew the full logic that PTC uses for this I would attempt it, but I get just lost as Christophe when it comes to understanding the logic of where new files feel they need to go.

There are any number of ways to manage a large enterprise solution for file management. It is high time that PTC puts some kind of check-out and check-in procedure into the core product. Does this ring a bell to some of you SW users?

Tom,

you could try the option file_open_default_folder working_directory. Though not said this affects saving as well.

Reinhard

REINHARD NUECKEL wrote:

Tom,

you could try the option file_open_default_folder working_directory. Though not said this affects saving as well.

Reinhard

That's a great tip. I will see if that tames the madness.

I already tried the option file_open_default_folder_working _directory.

It doesn't work in my case.

Grtz

Christophe

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:claurier-2)

Bonjour,

you could try to first save a copy of the pipe where you want it to be, then do a Replace>Layout in the assembly.

Or you can move the copied part from the old part folder to your working directory afterward with Windows Explorer.

Bonjour,

I'm working with libraries with a search path.

If I'm copying my parts to the working directory it is no use to work with libraries.

Grtz

Christophe

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:claurier-2)

I think I have misunderstood your issue...

But with this technique you can save your pipe wherever you want...

Top Tags