cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Scaling a model using a family table

JohnHigh
1-Newbie

Scaling a model using a family table

I have a part that I need to scale up using a family table.

Here is some further description. I have a master part model, and I need a second model of this part that is scaled up a small amount. I am then using this scaled up model for designing a Urethane mold. The normal way for me to do this is to click Edit-Scale Model, and enter my scale value. The problem with this is that the new model isn't linked parametrically to the original model so if I make changes to my original model I have to resave it and rescale it. This normally isn't a problem, but at the moment I am designing Urethane tooling that will be for about 35 different product codes.

I can save a lot of time if there is a way to make a family table for the orginal model, and make an instance in the table that would be scaled up. My problem is that scaling isn't really a parameter that can be put in a family table as far as I know. I know that I could put all of the dimensions in the family table and scale them all up one by one, but this model has a lot of features, and this would take a long time. Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

May be use the dimensions.

you can use "search tool" to find the dimensions and add it to a layer.use the save query.

截图02.jpg

no it's easy to add the dimensions to the family table.from the layer tree.

Hi John,

if you have access to a molddesign license you can use the Edit/ Setup/ Shrinkage command in order to define a shrinkage either by dimension or by scaling.

That way you only need to control one parameter in your family table.

John,

This is a little oddball, and time-consuming for a model already created, but you could use a method like the following, especially with new parts.

Create a parameter "S" for scale with a default value of 1.0. Now, every time you enter a dimension value, append "*S" to the value (e.g. 1.473*S instead of just 1.473), add parameter S to the Family Table and alter its value for the instances you want.

David

Top Tags