cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Section regeneration failed. Ambiguous sketch.

dgoodland
4-Participant

It's a round, and I can not do anything with it!

It locks up ProE (WF5) when I do anything to it. Ssuppress, delete, insert above it, redefine, etc - all causes "Not Responding".

Help!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgoodland
4-Participant
(To:dgoodland)

UPDATE!

Error message ‘Ambiguous sketch’ issue is corrected in (1) M230 datecode of Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and in (2) M110 datecode of Creo Parametric 2.0

These two releases will tentatively be available for customers by first week of April and first week of May respectively. I tested this issue in these two datecodes (M230 and M110 are available internally for Tech Support for testing purposes) and found that the error message does not show up (C11263145)

The issue that was crashing ProE 5.0 (and recently Creo 2.0) was/is an unrelated corruption that can not be corrected by a user and must be done at the coding level by PTC. They could not explain how/why it happened... so no idea how to aviod it from happening again. But it seems unlikely.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
dgoodland
4-Participant

Adding to this...

Model Player also causes Not Responding.

I can not do anything that causes a regen apparently. I can right click edit all the features, and it shows the dims etc... but if I cange a value and regen - Not Responding.

I did get it to show a new error message before it locks up - "WARNING: External ref. for feature/component not found, using old placement." ... but again, I can not do anything to investigate it

I recently corrupted a file somehow. It just crashed when I tried to open it. Now warning the night before... good thing I save often and keep my earlier versions. I was able to recover 99% of my work.

You might have to to the same thing, go back to a reliable version. Otherwise, you have to delete the feature.

Frustrating, I know. Just part of playing on the bleedin' edge

dgoodland
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I've been doing just that, going back in Revisions... it is at RevD now... I had to go back to Rev- (dash)! So it happens some durning the changes to RevA (I do know the problkem is there at the last version of A). But that is way way too far back to recover from

It is so weird that I can work normally after feature #63, but can not do anything at all above it!

and again - can not delete the feature, or anything above #63... it locks up ProE every time!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Besides the Rev A,B,C that we add to the drawing/model there are also the instances. (i.e. yourpart.prt.1, yourpart.prt.2, yourpart.prt.3, .....) This is the same with drawings. Antonius was referring to these versions of the parts. You make want to investigates these also.

dgoodland
4-Participant

Case opeed with PTC support and file provided... let's see what they can do.

Dale, if rev A has the problem and people have simply patched the files through rev D, someone needs to be called onto the carpet. Going back a version isn't going to help

Good luck, Daniel. I hope PTC can work this out.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

You're right, but I just want to make sure that Daniel was aware of the different levels to look at even between Rev-(dash) and Rev A. But it still sounds weird.

dgoodland
4-Participant

PTC support was able to reproduce my problem - of not being able to do anything - and are looking further into it.

Hope they get it resolved. Keep us informed

dgoodland
4-Participant

PTC has sent back a Repaired file.

They were not able to determine a root cause... not without having everything that lead up to the issue (trail files, exact configs, historic files etc).

So in the end, I have no idea how this can be avoided in the future but I have a working file now (without the Ambiguos sketch)

Glad it is resolved. Now back to work!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Ambiguity and a little pixie dust go a long ways with PTC.

dgoodland
4-Participant

UPDATES! I had been asked to dig deeper at work, so I have...

I was able to find exactly what Rev/Ver the corruption occured. Much to my anoyance, I was not able to do this before because I had gone backwards through Rev's and Ver's which made it so the corruption was always there! This time I started at the bottom working my way up... and suddenly the corruption wasn't there?! Anyway - I found it... still no idea why it is corrupted - it just is.

However! because I have a working version, I could now walk through to where the original issue (and title of this thread) occurs! "Section regeneration failed. Ambiguous sketch." It is exactly what I did not expect - Caused by a Draft?

There is a draft on a circular surface that is parted both sides (think cylider parted both side of it's middle)... When I part one direction, no issue. When I part the other direction, no issue. When I part one half, no issue. When I part the other half, no issue. But when I split it both sides - issue. Even when I do it in two seperate drafts, whichever comes second causes the Ambiguous sketch - so it's not just one side, it's a combination of the two sides.

Well - it works - it just gives the Ambiguous sketch message... but why?

I would let PTC answer that one. Thank you for putting in the effort and reportinig it back. This can be very useful to someone else some day. Sections have always been a problem in Pro|E for the silliest things.

Please submit the file again with the updated information. This really needs to be looked at for future releases.

dgoodland
4-Participant

UPDATE!

Error message ‘Ambiguous sketch’ issue is corrected in (1) M230 datecode of Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and in (2) M110 datecode of Creo Parametric 2.0

These two releases will tentatively be available for customers by first week of April and first week of May respectively. I tested this issue in these two datecodes (M230 and M110 are available internally for Tech Support for testing purposes) and found that the error message does not show up (C11263145)

The issue that was crashing ProE 5.0 (and recently Creo 2.0) was/is an unrelated corruption that can not be corrected by a user and must be done at the coding level by PTC. They could not explain how/why it happened... so no idea how to aviod it from happening again. But it seems unlikely.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

So, we're at datecode M230 of WF5/creo now? Wow, and to think we just struggled to "upgrade" to M180.....?

Thanks for the update, Daniel.

Cross-sections have always been buggy as I stated before.

Maybe now they actually fixed it.

AD, It's not a cross-section failure.

The software is blaming a sketched section that is used to create a feature, though it is likely that it is a failed pointer that is the actual culprit. It shows up as a symptom following a draft feature. In creating the draft feature PTC is probably not getting the correct reference to evaluate and the failure mode is to generate a message that something is wrong with the referenced item.

thanks for setting that straight. I got a different thread mixed up with this one.

Top Tags