cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Segment of a Sphere

breiter
1-Newbie

Segment of a Sphere

Is there a way to take a segment of a sphere or "lune" and flatten it so it could beprinted out? Iimagine this could be done in sheetmetal somehow?

Thanks,

Brad

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I don't think so. No matter how thin a slice, the segment is curved in
two directions and cannot be flattened completely.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

This is the same reason that map makers have had such a hard time.
Trying to flatten a globe always leads to distortion (isn't that why
Greenland is so big on the map but so small when you fly over it?)
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:breiter)

Somehow I think that I missed out on the first part of this conversation. Are you developing a sheet metal part that you want to flatten out?

I was thinking that IF you were revolving an arc around an axis you would have no trouble at all. As you try to get the 2 diameters to equal each other you “may” run into problems.

Interesting problem!

Michael P. Locascio

Thanks everyone for all the ideas, I should have specified that this didnt have to be done in sheetmetal, i just needed a way to take a sphere segment and project it for use as a template.

Bob and Todd had great examples on how to do this:

"It's done using, INSERT, ADVANCE, FLATTEN QUILT. I've done it in the past... Pro/E version 2001, so I can't remember exactly how to do it, but it CAN be done. "

Bob

"Sure. Just use a Insert > Advanced > Flatten Quilt…

Note that I copied the outside surface to an empty part. Then I created the flattened quilt.

Not always 100% accurate, but a lot better that guessing.

-tsl

iturner
3-Visitor
(To:breiter)

Greenland is still the 13th largest country in the world.

Ian Turner

CAD Manager

Cobham Mission Equipment
Top Tags