cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Selecting Datum Planes

PeterBrown
1-Newbie

Selecting Datum Planes

Hola-

Okay, I don't expect an answer for this one, but after 15 years with Pro I am reaching the end of my patience. What the **** is it's fascination with picking edges and vertices when I am trying to measure the distance between to planar surfaces!? It's beyond annoying. Of course, I start RMB'ing furiously only to see the plane I wanted flash past and have to go through the whole rigmarole all over again. It's stupid, it's cheap, it's counter-intuitive, and it's inexcusable. Most of it all, it should be fixed.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:PeterBrown)

I agree.

My work-around was to make a mapkey so when I went to measure, it changed my selection filter to select only surfaces (includes datums).

I used to just default to using the query bin (select from list) but that was just too slow. I did eliminate the 'oops I just went past what I wanted' problem

I've grumbled a lot about Pro/E's selection priorities - "no, pick the thing I'm pointing at, not the thing behind it!"

The only real workaround, as Steve says, is to change the selection filter.

If you hold RMB while selection-cycling, though, do you get a menu with a 'Prev' option? That works using query select...

HTH,
Jonathan

The only solution (as of CE/P 5.0) is to use the selection filter. I agree that a hierarchy of picking would be sensible not only for measuring , but for NC, drawing, assembly, etc...

Why planes, surfaces, etc... don't have selection priority over edges, curves, is beyond me. In drawing mode when placing dimensions, the detailing options (dimension, notes, etc) will let you pick vertexes and edges that are not even viable on screen. Try it sometimes with hidden lines removed view option.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
Top Tags