cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Set Datum Question

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Set Datum Question

Can anyone explain to me what the differences are between the two choices for setting datums?
[cid:image001.png@01CEB38F.78B92D60]

I use the old style datum because I can layer those set datums off in the model. I can't do that with the new suction cup datum. That's why I avoid them, I don't what to see all the set datums when I'm working in model mode.

It was pointed out to me that with the suction cup the drawing tree has this menu:
[cid:image002.png@01CEB38F.78B92D60]

With the old style datum the drawing tree has this menu: (No Delete)
[cid:image003.png@01CEB38F.78B92D60]

However If you have a datum as an axis, and use the old style the delete option is available.

Other than the delete menu, is there something I'm missing by using the old style verse the suction cup?

What's the purpose of having two ways to do this?

David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

I think I need to clarify what I'm talking about here. I've received several "answers" telling me that the suction cup it the newer standard.

We are not talking about what the datum looks like on the drawing. They both choices look the same on the drawing, they have the suction cup.

In model mode when you "set" the datum there are two choices in the User Interface, "the buttons you pick", which is what we are talking about, show the old style and the new style datum on the face of the buttons. What style you see on the face of the drawing is controlled by the detail setup file.

How those two choices behave in the model mode is different.

* If you pick the old style button, you can use layers to hide the set datums in part and assembly mode. Very desirable. However for datums planes you don't get a delete menu choice in the drawing mode. You do get a delete menu for datum axes.

* If you pick the new style button, you can't use layers to hide the set datums in part and assembly mode. A major bummer! You do get a delete menu choice in the drawing mode.

I don't know of any other behavioral differences between the two buttons. There may be other differences, I don't know why PTC has the two choices.

David Haigh

Hi David,

The middle datum image that has the hash marks (-A-), in the Datum Properties Box, is what is used to actually set an axis as adatum. For instance, Right-Click Axis Y in the model tree, Properties, then click the middle -A- and choose how to apply the datum. If you click the right, suction cup, image, you will be making theaxis a Datum Tag Annotation, instead. If you hover your mouse over the images, there will be a short description of what they do.

Here is some information from the Help File aboutDatum Tag Annotations.

About Set Datum Tag Annotations in Annotation Elements

You can create a set datum tag as an annotation placed on an annotation plane,
and referencing a datum feature or a surface associated with a datum feature.
The set datum tag Annotation Elements appear with the datum name in a box that
is attached to a solid triangle. Set datum tag Annotation Elements are displayed
in the Model Tree in the Annotation Feature as AE_SET_DATUM_TAG_<datum_name>
while the set datum tag annotations are displayed as Datum_Tag_<datum_name>.
Note the following points about set datum tag Annotation Elements.

• When creating a set datum tag Annotation Element, you can reference an
existing datum plane or datum axis. Alternatively, you can reference a planar
surface, cylindrical surface, circular edge or curve. When you reference a
planar surface, cylindrical surface, circular edge or curve, a datum feature
is created. For example, if you reference a planar surface then a datum plane
is created and if you reference a cylindrical surface, curve, or edge, then a
datum axis is created. This datum feature that is created is used as a reference
for a set datum tag Annotation Element. After the set datum tag Annotation Element
is created, the relationship between the set datum tag Annotation Element and the
reference datum feature is a parent-child relationship.

• You can place set datum tag Annotation Elements on a datum, or attach to a
dimension or GTOL and on geometry. You can place a set datum tag on geometry, such as,
on a coincident surface, edge or curve, coplanar surfaces with set datum planes, and
cylindrical surfaces with a set datum axis.

• You can include the set datum tag annotation elements in a User Defined Feature
(UDF), only if the UDF contains the reference datum feature, and also the geometry
references, if any, of the set datum tag Annotation Elements.

• Similarly, you can propagate set datum tag Annotation Elements to a Data Sharing
Feature, only if the Data Sharing Feature contains the references of the set datum
tag annotation element. You cannot propagate set datum tag annotation elements in the
same model.

Hope this helps...Brian

Top Tags