cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Several questions. Parameters, Templates & Tables

ptc-4339982
1-Newbie

Several questions. Parameters, Templates & Tables

For the last few days I have been setting up templates for title blocks and parts using parameters with a little help from the forums. I now have quite a nice looking title block which works well however whilst carrying out this work I now have several further questions.

1. I have setup a series of parameters in a drawing template &ISSUE_1, &DRAWN_BY etc, however when I start a new drawing I am prompted to fill out all these boxes. What I would like to do I fill out just a couple to start with and then go back and fill the rest in later when the drawing is issued or modified how do i get back to edit that information?

I presumed that I could create a list of parameters in my drawing as i did with a part and these would populate my title block however this does not seem to be the case.

2. I have system parameters which report scale and sheet number however I have to manually type these in when the new drawing starts rather than the system reporting them, how do I change this? My parameters are &scale, &current_sheet and &total_sheets

3. I also want to create a set of tables similar to how you can in AutoCAD. Basically in AutoCAD we have a table which we can add several lines of materials for example

a) 150X150 RSA

b) 200X200 RSA

c) etc

d) etc

Would and how would I create this to be editable in the drawing? I dont want the same issue as I have in question 1.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

hi,

Try to make the drawing first (views, dimensions, etc) and then load the format (*.frm) with your title block and tables you want in your drawing.

Hi Steve,

I would like to know few things about the problem you face in Question 1

1.While creating new drawing you use the drawing template or empty with format ?

2.Have you added all the parametrs used in title block ;in drawing parameters ?

I am not sure but,one of the reasons might be the the following

If you have not added parameters used in title block, in the drawing template's parameters then it will ask to fill the value of the parameters at the beginning of the drawing

Another reason might be

If you will create drawing using empty with format; then it will not add parameters to the drawing; and will ask you to fill the value.

In either of the cases; no parameters will be added in the drawing parameters

Regards

K.Mahanta

Thanks for your input.

My solution seems to have been to create a format rather than a template. When I create a format and use this as my title block information it populates the cells with the correct data pulled both from the model and also the system parameters. It did not seem to do this with a template.

I also discovered that the &functions need to be lower case and not upper otherwise again they will not work.

I still require help on question 3. as I am not sure how to even begin to create this or where it would need to sit in order to work correctly.

Hi

you can create tables as per your requirement.

save tables and use these tables later in any drawings.

you can add rows and coluns as per your need.

Regards

K. Mahanta

Hi Steve...

I'll try to merge the answers to these questions with the other thread about parameters and formats. I need to revisit that other question and work up a separate answer. For now, here are a few thoughts...

Drawings can be quite complex to set up for the first time. There's definitely a difference between FORMATS and TEMPLATES. Formats will contain all of the parameter symbols (model, system, and drawing). Templates will contain the VALUES of the drawing parameters as well as standard view definitions (if you want them). In addition, templates can have things like standard notes and symbols pre-loaded for convenience.

I'm still a bit confused about the materials question. I'm not familiar with AutoCAD's "material tables" that you're referring to. Are you trying to allow the user to choose from a pre-defined list of materials? For example, are you trying to pre-define 4 or 5 different materials (or more) and have the user pick one from a drop-down list in the drawing? Or am I missing the point?

I'll re-read the other thread and try to combine the answers into something coherent. Good work so far... I know it probably hasn't been easy!

Thanks!

-Brian

Thats not quite what I was looking at doing but a nice idea if its possible?

I presume it would be quite simple to do what I origianlly intended; having done a little more with formats and tables and from the answer above you can save tables to use again later.

Is it possible to re-use an already created format table and resize it to fit a smaller drawing blank? For example I have created a title block to fit A0; can I resize this to fit an A1/A2 drawing blank?

Hi Steve

You can reuse the table used in A0 format in A1 ,A2 , A3 or A4 format.

You need to select and save the table as table file,in a specific location in your computer.

In required format Use Table from file and Select the saved table file.

Resize a table in pro-e need to change the value of height and width of rows and columns.

You can not just SCALE a table

But I could not understand ; why do you need to resize a format table?

Because format contains generally Title block in table format.

And size of Title block in generally kept fixed irrespective of the format size.

Regards

K.Mahanta

If you are using the ASME standard the title block contains the same information for all formats but the sizes are different. A0 and A1 can have a basic or elongated format. The sizes for A2, A3, and A4 are the same but are different than A0 and A1.

Hi Kevin

Thank you for giving information about ASME Standard.

We use ISO Standards (ISO 7200). And there is no such case for different formats in ISO Standard.

Regards

K.Mahanta

Top Tags