cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Sheet metal pierce and bend

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Sheet metal pierce and bend

If you see the attached jpeg, you can see what I want to do (assuming my Snagit skills are good enough).

I want to pierce a semi-circle and bend it up 90 degrees along the axis of the semi-circle. Seems easy, doesn't it? I start with a planar wall, no openings. I would have though some kind of rop to start with, but I can't do a sketched rip without going completely to the edge of the model, and I only want to rip a half circle, not the whole thing.

I also don't want to remove material if I can help it. Is there a simplae way to do this without cutting an opening then adding a wall? Even tha doesn't work if I use a flat wall - it won't rotate it up, only down, and then only about 10 degrees. This is Creo 2.0.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Interesting. When I made the shape more complex, it failed when I tried to add the bend radius.

With a simple revolve quilt form with capped ends, it gave all the options I expected. What I didn't expect is the offset for the "internal" form at the sheer. I suspect that is an error making me favor the one forward in the image.

I have attached the Creo 2 file for reference.

arc-punch.JPG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

This is what we have forms for. Of course, it doesn't calculate the actual material available to determine the appropriate height of the folded semicircle.

So if you create the form (I like the quilt forms for on the fly forms), a quarter sphere, you can have the feature remove the spherical part of the form leaving only the semicircle wall.

To test the actual height of the feature, you can do this with a normal wall and determine the unfold length. You can use this information in creating the form.

Once you flat pattern the part, the flatten form feature will show where the form was applied.

(The form will also need a flat section for the material thickness, but you get the idea, right?)

Interesting. When I made the shape more complex, it failed when I tried to add the bend radius.

With a simple revolve quilt form with capped ends, it gave all the options I expected. What I didn't expect is the offset for the "internal" form at the sheer. I suspect that is an error making me favor the one forward in the image.

I have attached the Creo 2 file for reference.

arc-punch.JPG

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks Antonius. That looks like just what Iwas trying to do. I did try the quilt form before, but couln't get it to work. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but you seem to have got it exactly right.

Happy to help

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:TomD.inPDX)

The trick was that "exclude surfaces" option. That's why it didn't work for me before.

Top Tags