cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Simple representation material change?

acoates
1-Newbie

Simple representation material change?

Hi All,

Is it possible to assign two materials to a part and switch between them with simple representations? I have a concept for which I would like both extruded and cast quotations in different materials; I have simple reps that switch between draft features etc, but being able to switch material would be very useful.

Many thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
15 REPLIES 15

Nudge...any suggestions, please?

huggre
1-Newbie
(To:acoates)

Yes you can..

In your family table, add a new table column.

Select "Parameter" and then select the PTC_MATERIAL_NAME parameter.

Now, type the desired material name for each instance in your fam. table.

(all materials must be defined as "Materials in Model")

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Simplified reps typically apply to geometry representation, not metadata like material.

Metadata is handled by family tables.

dmorg
4-Participant

Assign both materials to the part. Then in relations add

PTC_MATERIAL_NAME = "MATERIAL_1"

IF PARAM == VALUE
  PTC_MATERIAL_NAME = "MATERIAL_2"
ENDIF

Great stuff, thanks All. I'd prefer to avoid family tables if I can, so Dan: does"value" in your expression above need to be changed to anything? I'm not sure what it relates to.

dmorg
4-Participant

You could have a parameter  of CAST set to YES/NO parameter

PTC_MATERIAL_NAME = "MATERIAL_1"

IF CAST == YES
  PTC_MATERIAL_NAME = "MATERIAL_2"
ENDIF

acoates
1-Newbie
(To:dmorg)

Thanks Dan. So could I switch between this parameter in a simple rep or would it need a family table again?

dmorg
4-Participant

Our model is driven by Pro/Notebook.  Based on inputs there, the parameters change and the material would update

acoates
1-Newbie
(To:dmorg)

I'm not familiar with Pro/Notebook, so I'll have to do some reading tonight!

huggre
1-Newbie

Andy

Just by curiosity, any particular reasons why you are avoiding family tables?

I find family tables one of the most powerfull features in Creo

acoates
1-Newbie
(To:huggre)

Indeed, they have their uses, but unfortunately the are (we have found) incredibly sensitive to how they are handled in and out of Windchill which has burnt us before and leaves us with a couple of legacy issues to this day!

dschenken
21-Topaz I

What issues?

We have a family table for our bolts; somebody once checked one out by mistake and, somehow, has retained the ownership. We cannot delete the instance, the owner or anything to try and resolve it. Our service provider is currently trying to work out a solution. It also can add all instances to a workspace when only one is required. Quite frequently. Very annoying and clearly something corrupt there.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Seems more like a problem with Windchill. I think it's a design flaw with Windchill PDMLink to allow more than one revision state for family table items because there is only one file. It probably saved $10 in software development.

Which has no doubt been passed onto the end users...

Top Tags