cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Slicing solid model to sketch inside it

dprobst
1-Newbie

Slicing solid model to sketch inside it

Hello, New at Creo 2.0, but I was wondering does Creo 2.0 have a tool / command that allows you to sketch on a datum that runs through a solid part. In inventor and SolidWorks you can "Slice" the solid model when creating a sketch to eventually extrude cut, revolve cut, etc. I can't find any information that says you can do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:dprobst)

I am not 100% sure what you are asking, you can sketch on any datum plane inside the part or outside the part.

If you are looking for simple reference to a feature that runs through the plane you are skecthing on you can use Project in sketcher.

If you are looking for a "slice" to reference you can create a section through a part and make a datum curve from it.

dprobst
1-Newbie
(To:Inoram)

Thanks, for the reply. I have done what you previously stated when skecthing. I was wonderingif in fact there was a coomnd/tool that would slice a solid part, allowing you to "see" inside and use that cut surface as a datum all while being in the "Sketch" mode. As stated previously, In INventor and SolidWorks, I can slice a solid model while in the sketch mode and draw on that datum. It's just a bit easier than looking "through" the solid model to sketch on the inside.

JamesBurcham
4-Participant

I don't think there is an option for that. If you need to see whats inside you can try changing the view to wireframe. Of course you get all the lines in the model so that might actually be more confusing. If you need to be able to see in side, you could create a section view and have that active, when you create the new extrude.

Hi James, Thank you for the information.

I am teaching the first class for Creo Parametric this semester and I had a student ask if the model could be sliced while in the sketch mode. I didn’t see anything in any of the books that said it could be done, so I thought I’d check on-line.

Thanks again,

If I understand the requirement right, you can make a datum curve based on a cross section. Once you make that curve, you can project that curve into a section or sketch.

Hi Steven, Yes, in Inventor or SolidWorks, we would use an existing datum plane or cretae a new one that could be used to then draw our sketch on. It's a tad bit easier for the student to see what and how the sketch will be used when the model is "sliced" by the datum plane.

Just as in Creo, when clicking on a existing surface or face of an object indicates a new datum plane.

A student asked if Creo would "slice" a model so as to be able to skecth on the inside of it. It's just a bit different and it takes them a while to get use to it, but not a big problem.

You can do this with sections too. Just make a datum plane which you intend to use as a sketch plane and assign a cross section to it. You can leave the part sectioned and you then make the sketch. once you are done, you have the option to delete the cross section.

Thank to each of you for all the helpful information. Books are good to have for the students for reference, but places like this can make life a whole lot easier. Thanks again for all the help and answers.

Constantin
13-Aquamarine

Hi David,
I know what you are looking for from CATIA V5. There you have button in the sketcher called 'Cut Part by sketch plane' creating a clipped state of the part while sketching.
As mentioned by othres already there is no corresponding function inside the creo sketcher.
I would go with Antonius suggestion of creating a clipped and cappedcross section prior to sketching.

Thanks, Constantin

The feed back from here has been very helpful. I know that once you are accustomed to using a CAD software package, it is sometimes hard to try another package due to "looking" for the same tools/commands. The frustration level could be less if we try and leave what we know about the other software out of the learning curve. I understand what the other answers are talking about and it does indeed work, it's just a different manner in which it is done. Thanks again to all!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I config.pro, set: capped_clip yes and use the clipping under "visibilities" it think it was.

Top Tags