cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Sorting a Column of 2D Family Table (Repeat Region Table)

wjamieson
4-Participant

Sorting a Column of 2D Family Table (Repeat Region Table)

I am trying to sort a column of a 2D repeat region table, how do I do this? The 2D repeat region table is derived from a family table. I do not want to change the way the original family table is sorted. I would also like to re-order the parameter name columns in the table. I am using Creo 2.0. Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

William,

in attached Word document you can find information, how to create parametric sorted table of hex_jam_nut family table. Unfortunatelly the solution enables you to sort table according to CORNERS value or instance name, only.

You can also test "non-parametric solution":

• open Family table editor and click File > Edit with Excel
  • open new empty Excel book, copy family table information into it and save it
  • insert this standalone Excel book into the drawing as linked object
  • every change in standalone Excel book will be transfered into the drawing, when you reopen it

Good luck

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

William,

use a procedure described in http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_27/howto/dwt_no2d/dwt_no2d.htm (mentioned in https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS24968).

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Martin,

Thanks for the tutorial. I had found this before, but I cannot get it to work. After following the instructions and applying the filters, When I sort regions, Creo only will sort the names in the "Instance Name" column... but not the other columns. Is this tutorial only for Pro Engineer or older versions of PTC software? Thanks for your help.

William

William,

in Creo 2.0 the procedure works well.

You have to create three separate repeat regions.

For every region containing &fam.inst.param.value you have to apply filter &fam.inst.param.name == PARAMETERNAME.

Please upload your model&drawing. I can check it.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
wjamieson
4-Participant

In the attached file (which is a modified file mentioned in the tutorial you showed) I have modified the numbers in the "Corners" parameter of the family table. When I sort the "Corners" column in the drawing, the numbers sort in order, however, the other columns do not change to match this sorting. I.E. only the numbers in the corners column rearrange, which causes the table to display incorrect values which are different than the original family table. Try sorting the "Corners" column in the drawing file to see what you get.

William,

it is logical, that if you sort one repeat region, then other will not sort. They are independent.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
wjamieson
4-Participant

Then what's the point? I want to sort a table of a 2D repeat region by column values... If I did this I would simply ruin the integrity of the table. Please reference the initial question.

wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:wjamieson)

For clarity's sake I'm trying to sort a 2D repeat region table by the values in any individual column of the table. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You need to use a 2D region, not individual simple regions. Then you can sort by whichever row you want and everything will stay connected.

Repeat Region --> Sort Regions --> Pick the Region --> Add --> Forward (or Backward) --> Pick the row you want to sort by --> Done.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

By the way, it may not be obvious, but you can sort both the vertical direction and the horizontal direction.

forward.PNG

backwardd.PNG

mixed.PNG

wjamieson
4-Participant

Are you able to sort it by the "Corners" column? Thanks.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Actually...no. It looks like you can only sort by the outside row/column (instance name or parameter name), not by the values of those parameters.

conosi1
1-Newbie

Please show more detail on how you sorted this.  Thanks

wjamieson
4-Participant

Does anybody know how to do this? I think this really needs to be a feature in Creo Parametric... It would be useful for creating tables organized by crucial properties, such as length, diameter, etc., which would be useful in a lot of applications, such as searching through a table by hand to find a part of specific length. Does anyone from PTC have a comment on this? I really appreciate any input.

William,

in attached Word document you can find information, how to create parametric sorted table of hex_jam_nut family table. Unfortunatelly the solution enables you to sort table according to CORNERS value or instance name, only.

You can also test "non-parametric solution":

• open Family table editor and click File > Edit with Excel
  • open new empty Excel book, copy family table information into it and save it
  • insert this standalone Excel book into the drawing as linked object
  • every change in standalone Excel book will be transfered into the drawing, when you reopen it

Good luck

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
wjamieson
4-Participant

Great solution Martin! It worked perfectly for me. Thanks a lot for your help!

Top Tags