cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Splitting a quilt/surface

nweston
1-Newbie

Splitting a quilt/surface

Hi all, me again

I'm still working on this razer deathadder and I ended up creating the whole main section as one surface within the style tool.

I've used a swept blend to create the split line but despite it not being connected, Creo is still counting this as one surface. Any ideas on how to separate it?

Cheers

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure I completely understand what your asking for, but I'm gonna throw this out at you...

1) You should be able to split any surface with the trim, or extrude cut command:

- Project a curve onto your surface,  Trim,  "keep both sides". (toggle the flip sides icon until both sides are showing)

- or - Extrude a cut through the surface, remove material, "keep both sides". (toggle the flip sides icon until both sides are showing)

2) After the surface has been trimmed,  you should be able to "query select" through the "patch" selection.

When your selecting the surface,  don't select the feature from the Tree,  and/or don't use Feature from the filter box.  This will grab the entire feature every time...

- Set your filter box (in the lower right corner) to Quilts - then on screen - right click through the options until you get what you want...

- If that doesn't work,  try setting your filter box to "Geometry" - then on screen - right click through the options until you get what you want...

Unless you have something unusual going on with your setup,  using these methods above you should be able to trim and select any surface patch you want to work with.

3) If all else fails,  you could copy the quilts...

Remember, Don't select the Feature!  you must select the Quilt.

- Set you filter box to Geometry, or Quilts (whichever one gets you what you want)  Highlight the top quilt, Copy, then Paste.

- do the same again...  Highlight the bottom quilt, Copy, then Paste.

- lastly,  Put your style Feature on a custom layer and turn it off.

now you can work with the top and bottom sections as different quilt features.

Good Luck

Bernie

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I'm not sure I completely understand what your asking for, but I'm gonna throw this out at you...

1) You should be able to split any surface with the trim, or extrude cut command:

- Project a curve onto your surface,  Trim,  "keep both sides". (toggle the flip sides icon until both sides are showing)

- or - Extrude a cut through the surface, remove material, "keep both sides". (toggle the flip sides icon until both sides are showing)

2) After the surface has been trimmed,  you should be able to "query select" through the "patch" selection.

When your selecting the surface,  don't select the feature from the Tree,  and/or don't use Feature from the filter box.  This will grab the entire feature every time...

- Set your filter box (in the lower right corner) to Quilts - then on screen - right click through the options until you get what you want...

- If that doesn't work,  try setting your filter box to "Geometry" - then on screen - right click through the options until you get what you want...

Unless you have something unusual going on with your setup,  using these methods above you should be able to trim and select any surface patch you want to work with.

3) If all else fails,  you could copy the quilts...

Remember, Don't select the Feature!  you must select the Quilt.

- Set you filter box to Geometry, or Quilts (whichever one gets you what you want)  Highlight the top quilt, Copy, then Paste.

- do the same again...  Highlight the bottom quilt, Copy, then Paste.

- lastly,  Put your style Feature on a custom layer and turn it off.

now you can work with the top and bottom sections as different quilt features.

Good Luck

Bernie

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:nweston)

Hi Nathan, there is a specific tool to do exactly what you require (I think, if I understand your problem correctly). Split surface can be found in Editing in the Model tab. Select this icon to split your original surface into 2 seperate surfaces.

Regards

John

Top Tags