cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Still using WF 5.0 - sketch datum point?

mdylewski
1-Newbie

Still using WF 5.0 - sketch datum point?

I am using WF 5.0 and the sketch datum point option is gone. What is it's replacement or where is it hidden?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

If WF5 is similar to Creo (the newer "5"), then there are two point features in sketch. The "datum" point is the geometry point, the other is a reference point. Same is true for CSYS and axes.

Welcome to the forum, Matt!

aerickson
5-Regular Member
(To:mdylewski)

Maybe what you're looking for is under the "insert" drop-down menu. Go to model datum < point < point.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. It is the same as selecting the "point" option on the side menu (shows 3 x's for its icon).

It's been consoldated into the standard sketch tool. Start a standard sketch and look for the "geometry point" icon.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for the tips. I am not looking to add points to a sketch- I am looking to add a datum point by sketching. All the points in the sketcher do not show in the model as a point that I can reference. I have had some luck with using the datum point tool but it isn't as user friendly as the older sketching option.

Thanks.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Matt, you're missing it. Adding geometry datum points to a sketch IS the equivalent to the old sketched datum point feature. The only thing you need in the sketch is a one (or more) geometry points (and dimensions). You don't need any curves, lines, etc.

I can try it again but adding either point in the sketch didn't show in my model.

aerickson
5-Regular Member

Make sure you have datum points view turned on.

I am adding a geometry point to my sketch but it doesn't become a point. It becomes an axis. No points show. I am going to stop trying to find a solution. I have found a way to work around it. Thanks to everyone for your help.

A geometry point, when the sketch is extuded, will become an axis. If used in a stand alone sketch, you get a point.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

That is why I absolutely love PTC. They always keep you working really hard. Why would they take away from the insert sketched datum tool in the original functionality and separate it? I will try adding a sketch. I was thinking you had to add the datum to the sketch of your feature which didn't make sense at all. Insert picture of me banging my head on my desk here.......

Wait until you get to features where you don't get to add the geometry point any more when you need one

But I do not mind having the geometry points recognized as a valid sketch. What gets me is that datum points and geometry points are really the same thing.

In Creo 2 at least, there is a notice about extrudes creating axes... Probably because others have found what you found. But who reads the little pop-ups anyway

geometry_point.png

Top Tags