cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Sweep and Trajpar

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

Sweep and Trajpar

Do you need create a flexible rubber hose - here is short video tutorial

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
10 REPLIES 10

147.png

Cool, nice work (are you use my instructions?)

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

yes i did, isnt it good

It is perfect, great

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

How do you satisfy the intend of stock shape and install shape within the same datum curve or maybe style curve?

I'm sorry, I do not understand your question - other example with Swep feature you can find here >> User defined springs

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

In the real world, this pipe will need to install some place. What you have is the stock shape or the shape prior to installation. We still need the installed shape.  Can we make these both shapes within the same model?

Hi Peter...

If you were going to try to use this piece for a real-world application, I'd probably do it a bit different than the way the geometry is created here. While trajpar is very powerful, For geometry like this, I prefer to use a spinal bend.

First, I'd create the curve representing the installation path of the hose. Next, I'd take a measurement of that curve and reserve it as a variable "x" for example.  Next, I'd draw sketch a straight line of "x" (keeping the start point coincident with one of the ends of the installation path. I'd use a relation to keep the length of the straight sketch equal to the total length of the installation path.

Next, I'd make a simple feature (perhaps a revolve) representing a small chunk of the hose. I'd pattern it along the straight sketch until I had one long piece of straight hose approximately the same length as the installation trajectory. FYI: You could also use any of the trajpar techniques presented above to create your straight piece of tubing.

Finally, I'd use the spinal bend feature to wrap, twist, and bend the hose onto the installation trajectory.

The technique takes some practice. Just like in other techniques, if you have a very complex installation path, you'll have to spend some time making a single trajectory to use the spinal bend feature. You could probably overcome this issue using the variable section sweep and trajpar functions. Each technique has it's merits and both should be considered. I'll try to post a small sample of a pipe twisted using a spinal bend.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Peter...

Here's a sample of what you can do with a spinal bend. The geometry on this piece is a bit weird but it was for a heat exchanger application. You can bend almost anything along a curve with a spinal bend.

spinal_bend.png

There are tons of tutorials on PTC Community for trajpar if you decide to use that approach. If you need one for performing a spinal bend, I'll be happy to work one up for you.

Thanks and good luck!

-Brian

Hi Brain...

Thanks for the reply. 

Top Tags