cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Symbol Orientation 3D vs 2D

JeffLippeth(Jsc
1-Newbie

Symbol Orientation 3D vs 2D

How to display a 3D symbol in a drawing?

Tested on

CREO Elemnets Pro 5.0 / CREO 2.0

Created a Symbol that pulls data from the model parameters.

Once placed on the model it looks and plays as it should.

Create a new drawing, show the annotation for the symbol and it does not look like the symbol.

Some generic font is used and the orientation does not coinside with the 3D model.

See attached image

Is there a setting to display the annotation as per 3D model?

symbol_3dvs2d.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Model annotation and drawing annotation are different. However, you might be able to force the symbol to be the same if not directly associative. Have a look in the symbol definition to see if you can force the text font to be the same as defined rather than taking on the drawing's font.

As a work around, I might suggest either a sketch or an extrusion for the marking. You can use relations in the text feature in sketches. I prefer these as 3D objects only because they play nice in drawings.

These issues are similar with managing silkscreens. There are a number of ways to do this, but all have issues depending on your overall process.

Create a support case to see if PTC has a specific recommendation with regard to this. I can see this as a very common issue when using certification marks and the like.

Interesting. Text styles are not saved with symbols. Oversight?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

No. Intended functionality

I am getting some strange results, but the model generated annotation is maintaining the original symbol definition when shown in the drawing in Creo 2.0 M040. I can make it an annotation feature or just annotation symbol. Although I cannot store the text style, it does remember it throughout the session.

Jeff, can you explain better on how this is being used and how it is defined?

I edited the symbol in the model with different fonts (the odd one out is the default).

The rotation was not maintained but the font definition was. Once I told the symbol to allow text rotation, it allowed me to rotate it in the drawing, even though it is a model symbol.

This is the results I got in the drawing:

symbol_games.PNG

And after saving the part and erasing memeory, it comes up with default fonts again

Basic outline,

I want to create a way to add what we call a "Steel Stamp" to the model.

The Steel Stamp will auto fill out using model parameters.

I create a UDF for the Steel Stamp Function. I tried Sketch and Symbol features.

The problem with using a sketch and driving the text to look at a parameter is repeatability.

With having 14 model parameters and the sketch using 3 of those, when I reuse the UDF on other models the text will sometimes not auto fill. It will have the original text and not parameter driven.

Maybe it has to do with the parameter order or ?

But using a Symbol, it cannot get it to fail. It will always read the model parameters.

Just can't get it to show up nicely on the drawing.

You are right, symbols become independent between models and drawings... just like dimensions show one way on the model and follow different rules in the drawing.

I don't know how the relations can get messed up for sketch note relations. Remember there is a post-regen option in relations to force evaluation after regeneration (lower right corner of the relations dialog).

Top Tags