cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Template Relations in Mirrored Part

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Template Relations in Mirrored Part

Creo 2, M230

Our part & assy templates include some default relations for setting mass properties parameters but also for setting the value of the "Part_no" parameter based on the file name.  If I save a part as a mirror, I don't see any way to force Creo to create the mirror based on my template, therefore those relations get lost.  The parameters do come along, but they retain the values from the parent.  That means that two files have the same value for the P/N, even though their file names are different.

Is there a way to force Creo to include relations from my template part when creating a mirrored part?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

Should a regen of the part force the relations to update to your new file name?

Part_no = rel_model_name should update and change with a post mirror regen.

That's the intended behavior, and that's the relation that exists in our template part.  However, when creating a mirrored part, the new part has no relations and retains the parameter values from the parent.

--
LinkedIn

I always had tough times dealing with mirrored models for this reason. The easiest solution is to set up a mapkey to import relations, but you have to open each and every mirrored model to do that.

Rather than retrieving the model name with part level relations try moving that relation to your BOM and get the name from asm_mbr_name in case of repeat region relations. If you use Windchill then that's a totally different story.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:James62)

I have such a mapkey, but I don't always remember to run it.

I use that parameter in other places besides the BOM, like the title block of the part drawing, so I need it to be accurate.

--
LinkedIn

Actually, while creating the Mirrored model if you use the option Mirror geometry with features it will copy over the relations, the thing is i always need geometry only.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:James62)

Interesting, that works, but it looks like it's an independent part. I typically need my mirrored parts to be dependent on the parent.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags