cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Toggle Chamfer On/Off with family table

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Toggle Chamfer On/Off with family table

I have a part that has some holes that are laser cut by a supplier and then internally to the company, have a chamfer added.

Is there a way in the Hole Tool to toggle on and off the chamfer through family tables so that I can have a vendor supplied part and then a finished part?

Currently, it has been on the same drawing with a note, but scheduling/recieveing is asking for it to be broken out.

Thanks, Dale

parameter-chamfer.PNG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think you can toggle a part of a feature on and off. I'd suggest making the holes without the chamfer and adding the chamfer separately with the chamfer feature and toggling that on and off.

Alternately, you could have two hole features, one with and one without the chamfer and switch between them. That would require some careful management to make sure they remain the same if the hole size changed.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dale_Rosema)

I have found a work around, but would still be interested to know if you can just toggle off the chamfer.

In the family table, I added the dimensions .480 Diameter and 82 degree chamfer. I changed them to .281 diameter and 1 degree chamfer so they are not really noticable. But I'll have to do this for six holes.

parameter-chamfer2.PNG

I don't think you can toggle a part of a feature on and off. I'd suggest making the holes without the chamfer and adding the chamfer separately with the chamfer feature and toggling that on and off.

Alternately, you could have two hole features, one with and one without the chamfer and switch between them. That would require some careful management to make sure they remain the same if the hole size changed.

--
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

Your first suggestion was what I was sort of thinking, but was just check to see if it was possible. The second idea leaves to much to be updated if the feature changes - myself or those that come behind me would have to remember to change both and for that, there is no gaurantee.

Yeah, that was my thinking too, but if company standards or something required that it all be in the hole feature, that'd be an option.

--
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

Right now I am sticking with my work around (i.e. a minuscule chamfer that "cannot" be seen in the vendor drawing).

Seems you should be able to toggle feature features. Shame these little details were not written in the software performance specifications.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Performs as expected

Top Tags